The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   New Fly-Tying Light (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/13979-new-fly-tying-light.html)

Fly2Fish 06-03-2010 04:18 PM

New Fly-Tying Light
 
I ran across what for me is a novel fly-tying light setup that I am considering, and was wondering if any of you have had any experience with it? The basic light costs $55 (at Lands End, the only place I've seen it so far), and magnetically attaches to a cross piece which is connected to the vise stem (see 1st image below). An additional light (@ $45) can also be attached to give cross-angle lighting of your fly (see 2nd image below). One advantage - particularly if traveling - is that each light uses a single AA battery, helpful if wherever you're tying doesn't have an electrical outlet handy. Another advantage is that the light(s) should be easily adjustable infinitely due to being held in place by magnets. A third advantage is that they can be used as pocket flashlight(s) when not being magnetically held in place. Each light has 12 LEDs and both together produce 200 foot-candles (I don't know enough about lighting to know if this is sufficient, but presume it must be close or they wouldn't sell it as specifically for fly-tying).

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...t_Lite_12H.jpg

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...ersion_Kit.jpg

Any experiences or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Hardyreels 06-03-2010 05:17 PM

Re: New Fly-Tying Light
 
Fly2,

I have been using a jewelers lamp with magnifier since 94'. These are not portable but offer the magnifier lens and light both. they can be had for around 29.99 - $40.00. Since you travel to fish and may find yourself needig to tie on site the setup you have posted may be perfect for you. Just add a pair of 2.5 X reading glasses for those pesky size 22's and you're good to go...............

Fly2Fish 06-03-2010 07:43 PM

Re: New Fly-Tying Light
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 93578)
Fly2,

I have been using a jewelers lamp with magnifier since 94'. These are not portable but offer the magnifier lens and light both. they can be had for around 29.99 - $40.00. Since you travel to fish and may find yourself needig to tie on site the setup you have posted may be perfect for you. Just add a pair of 2.5 X reading glasses for those pesky size 22's and you're good to go...............

Ard,

Any idea where to get those? The price is definitely right. I've had a MacKenzie light/magnifier unit that attaches to the vise stem, but never thought the magnifier was worth the bother. Light's great, but reading glasses (yes, 2.5X fit me just right too) seem to work a lot better than the small rectangular MacKenzie magnifier does. But light's the main thing.

Neil

Hardyreels 06-03-2010 08:55 PM

Re: New Fly-Tying Light
 
Neil,

I left my antique model in storage back in CO. and after listening to me grumble about missing it for a year or so Nancy got me the one I have now. I ask her where she got this one and she tells me Home Depot. This is one that uses incandescent bulbs and I chose to put in a 40 watt spot bulb in mine.

Not only great light for tying but it is also the source of light used for fly photos.

Ard

ChrisinselwynNZ 06-03-2010 08:56 PM

Re: New Fly-Tying Light
 
Just looking at it it seems a bit small and I have found that a light that you can move around is great (it seems too close to the vice too maybe good for traviling tho) mine is a 50/100watt halogen that I can have well away and it still gives good light

Chris

FrankB2 06-03-2010 10:43 PM

Re: New Fly-Tying Light
 
Just buy a these and a pair of reading glasses... :D
http://www.anythingoes.net/flashlight_glasses.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

Seriously... I need a LOT of light, and white light. I've found that most of the LED flashlights have a blue light, so I'd look into that.

Hardyreels 06-04-2010 01:09 AM

Re: New Fly-Tying Light
 
OK,

Here's the deal Neil :D I have never had the motive and opportunity to say that to someone named Neil.

Frank, this is the way the light looks through the glass. I have a 40 watt spot in there and really like it.

[IMG]http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/g.../Light0001.jpg[/IMG]

Ard

Fly2Fish 06-05-2010 10:30 PM

Re: New Fly-Tying Light
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 93641)
OK,

Here's the deal Neil :D I have never had the motive and opportunity to say that to someone named Neil.

Well, it's been hard, Ard, not to do the same ;-)

Many thanks for your advice on lights and other topics. One of the great things about this forum is the ability to tap into the great depth of knowledge that you and others offer.

Neil (as in "deal")

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankB2 (Post 93628)
Just buy a these and a pair of reading glasses... :D
http://www.anythingoes.net/flashlight_glasses.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

Seriously... I need a LOT of light, and white light. I've found that most of the LED flashlights have a blue light, so I'd look into that.

Frank,

Good point about the blue light. I find that with current flashlights, which all seem to use LEDs, that they don't illuminate all that well for my old eyes.

Neil

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisinselwynNZ (Post 93607)
Just looking at it it seems a bit small and I have found that a light that you can move around is great (it seems too close to the vice too maybe good for traviling tho) mine is a 50/100watt halogen that I can have well away and it still gives good light

Chris

Chris,

You make a good point. However, my current MacKenzie only has a 16" gooseneck, which doesn't get the light all that far away from the fly, particularly when mounted on my Peak vise's Accessory Shaft.

Neil

stimmy7 06-07-2010 01:23 PM

Re: New Fly-Tying Light
 
My only concern with halogen is the heat. I have a lot of mini skin blisters on the backs of both of my hands from days of production level tying under a halogen light. When I go out in the sun now, unless I wear fingerless gloves, the blisters on the backs of my hands react and swell... and yes, I've been told they are 'basal cell carcinomas".


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.