The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By madjoni
  • 2 Post By Frank Whiton
  • 3 Post By monkeyboy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 10:49 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default snipe wings

are there many uses for snipe wings (ie good soft hackles from the covets)
or is it better too get a rump patch if I can find it?

I know of the snipe and purple but dont know of many other patterns that use it

Chris
Old 06-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: snipe wings

Chris, I’d go with a pair of wings (often packaged and marketed by Veniards) about 6-7 bucks US or 3-5 British pounds.

In addition to light and dark mottled brown feathers on the top coverts, there are lots of barred white and black feathers and dark dun feathers on the inside of the wing. And quill slips from the flight feathers
can be used for wings for Blue Duns. (The quill feathers are a light-medium dun.)

Here's some pics of the only pair of snipe wings I have, they"re a little picked over, but hopefully you can make out the coloration (the flight feathers on the underside pic are reflecting sheen from the flash and are medium dun not white, but the barred feathers are white and black.

Here's a pic of the top side of the pair of snipe wings
Click the image to open in full size.

And a pic of the underside of the snipe wings

Chris, since you tie some many beautiful classics, you may be interested in a website called "flymphs" Home if you haven't already found it.

Here’s a link to some of their great resources including recipes for classic North Country flies. About 75% of the way down on this link is a listing of some patterns by bird included in

"Fogg, Roger W.S.: 1988: A Notebook of North Country Flies: 63 patterns 
Courtesy of Donald Nicholson
Fogg, Roger W.S.: 1988: A Notebook of North Country Flies."

Here’s the link:
patterns

Since it may be a bit difficult to find, here’s a listing for flies tied with Snipe (copied from the reference in the above link): 

Snipe

45. March Brown: 
Hook: 14 or 12 

Thread: orange silk, Pearsall’s shade 6a, which is a light orange (On their chart it is called Gold.) 

Hackle: a mottled brown feather from a Snipe’s rump 

Body: orange silk dubbed with fur from the nape of a rabbit’s neck lightly tinged with a red spinner shade. 

Rib: fine gold wire or narrow gold tinsel 

46. Snipe & Purple: 

Hook: 18 to 14
Thread: un-waxed purple silk. Pearsall’s shade 8 

Hackle: a dark marginal covert feather from the Snipe, or Jack Snipe for preference. Choose a 
spoon-shape feather. 
Body: purple tying silk or floss silk 

47. Snipe & Orange: 

Hook: 16 or 14.
Thread: orange silk 

Hackle: a dark marginal covert feather from the Snipe, or Jack Snipe for preference. Choose a 
spoon-shape feather 

Body: well waxed orange tying silk 

48. Snipe & Yellow: 

Thread: primrose yellow silk. 

Hackle: a rather lighter colored marginal covert Snipe feather. Look for a feather with a pale 
blotch at the tips and a distinct buff-brown color over all. 

Body: a single layer of bright primrose floss silk over the tying silk underbody. Theakston added 
a thorax of brown wool; you may also use peacock hurl, optional. 

49. Black Snipe:
Body: 18 to 8. Small for river, larger for lake 

Thread: black 

Hackle: two turns of a rather longer-fibred Snipe feather than those used in the previous 
dressings choose one of the darkest feathers available on the topside of the wing 

Body: a very short body of green Peacock hurl, which should appear little more than a thorax 
behind the hackle 

50. Needle Brown. 

Hook: 16 or 14 

Thread: well waxed orange silk 

Hackle: a small dark Snipe feather from the marginal coverts. The hackle should be wound 
sparsely. 

Body: waxed orange silk which should assume almost a brown shade, with a thorax of grizzled 
hare’s ear fur. Pick a few fibers out to merge with the hackle. 

51. Light Spanish Needle. 

Thread: crimson, Fogg recommends ‘Cobweb’, as it is no longer available, Pearsall or a more 
modern thread will do. 

Hackle: a light bloa feather from the under-coverts of a snipe’s wing. 

Body: crimson ‘Cobweb’ tying thread. Make sure that it is neat and slim. 

Head: Peacock herl. Do not make the head too large and conspicuous.

None of the shops i usually order from in the US have them have them in stock at the moment, and the only links i could find with them is in Great Britain.

Cookshill is a great resource and they have a lot of great stuff for classic patterns and fast/reliable shipping:
Cookshill Fly Tying Materials (wings for 3.50 pounds they also sell the complete skin for around 20 pounds)

and The Essential Fly also in Great Britain appears to have them and a lot of other neat stuff but i've never used them)

Fly Tying - Snipe Wing Pairs for sale (wings for 4.40 pounds)

If you have questions about feather sizes etc let me know and I'll try to answer them by looking at the pair of wings I have. Hope this helps.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:03 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Mark,

Great post!

I can second Mark's recommendation on Cookshill. I talked to the proprieter, Steve Cooper, today and ordered a bunch of materials. Steve does his own dying, so if you have a cape or a saddle that you want dyed a certain color; then he's one of the best to go to. Service is quick / prices are reasonable.

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 06-09-2010 at 04:29 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:37 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Mark many thanks

the pair that I have bid on are in NZ, and only 7.5NZD (close too 5 USD) they are packaged and marketed by Veniards

Chris
Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Chris,

Do you tie sculpin patterns? The coverlet feathers from snipe or American Woodcock make great pectoral fins on sculpins (see Whitlock's Sculpin) these are one of my best big fish flies.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-09-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Chris,

Do you tie sculpin patterns? The coverlet feathers from snipe or American Woodcock make great pectoral fins on sculpins (see Whitlock's Sculpin) these are one of my best big fish flies.

Ard
Ard there is a classical pattern that uses dyed partridge feathers for this sort of fly (we call them bullies) I plan on posting it eventualy

Chris
Old 09-09-2010, 09:17 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Chris,

Ard
I do......and have my one series with woodcock feathers(or snipe)
Here is some from "woodcock brothers"

Never seen that Whitlock's Sculpin,can you send me link please?
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Chris,

Do a Google search on Whitlock Sculpin Fly and you will get a bunch of information. I even saw a tutorial.

Frank

Whitlock Sculpin
Hardyreels and madjoni like this.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:16 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

found this thread after googling snipe wings
pretty cool did not know there was a Flymphs site
buzz
Hardyreels, mcnerney and madjoni like this.

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory