The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 09:42 AM

tampac66 is on a distinguished road
Question Fly Tying Resource

Hello,

I have just gotten into fly fishing and fly tying a couple months ago and I have mostly just been tying patterns i find on the internet for fun, and for practice learning the techniques. However, the problem I am running into is that most fly patterns out there seem to be for trout, which i have no access to. I live in Texas and fish mostly in ponds and on the Brazos for catfish, bass, and bluegills.

Without fishing every single fly in existence to find out which work for these kinds of fish, could anyone give me a general idea of where to head? For example, what types of flies/colors/shapes ect. work for Bass/catfish/bluegills?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, is there any online resource where i can go to find what types of insects live in different regions during each season so that i can match those? Ive had a hard time finding out what is out there, and what eats it.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fly Tying Resource

Hi,

Welcome to our group, we have many members who live in the south and will be better able to direct you in warm water fishing than I can. I will leave this to them. You will find that once your posting is discovered you will get all the resources you can handle through this forum. I have confidence in the members here.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 AM

Smile Re: Fly Tying Resource

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

Welcome to our group, we have many members who live in the south and will be better able to direct you in warm water fishing than I can. I will leave this to them. You will find that once your posting is discovered you will get all the resources you can handle through this forum. I have confidence in the members here.

Ard
Thanks Ard

I'm glad i came across this forum and i hope my fellow southerners can help me out.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I will tell you this, I caught my first channel cat on a black woolly bugger on a #4 hook. For bass, I have caught Lg. & Sm. mouths on every thing from classic popping bugs to damsel fly patterns. I have caught the most bass on McNally Magnums in brown and gold. Goggle McNally Magnum and you will find this pattern and its history.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-09-2010, 02:23 PM

Any other help?
Old 06-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

You could also do a Google search for "bass fly patterns".
Here is just one site: Bass Flies

Larry
Old 06-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Tampac66 welcome to the forum. You're right a lot of the info out there is geared towards tying trout flies. But a lot of trout flies also make great flies for bass (like woolly buggers, marabou muddlers, zonkers etc) and panfish (nymphs and wet flies, foam grass hoppers etc).

But as Larry suggested, there's a bunch of good resources out there too for folks that chase other fish like bass and panfish too. And we have a lot of members that chase bass and panfish, hopefully they'll weigh in with their favorite patterns.

In the meantime here's a link that might help to Warmwater Fly Tyer's pattern directory
Fly Patterns - Warmwater Fly Tyer - by Ward Bean

If you click on the red links, it will take you to a a bunch of flies, each with tying instructions and step by steps.

Feel free to ask questions as you get into it. Stuff like materials can be very confusing.

You may also be interested in joining one of our fly swaps. I'm starting up a Bass and Panfish fly swap, and folks with all levels of experience (even beginners) are welcome. (See the fly swap forum for the thread)
Old 06-09-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Tampac66 welcome to the forum. You're right a lot of the info out there is geared towards tying trout flies. But a lot of trout flies also make great flies for bass (like woolly buggers, marabou muddlers, zonkers etc) and panfish (nymphs and wet flies, foam grass hoppers etc).

But as Larry suggested, there's a bunch of good resources out there too for folks that chase other fish like bass and panfish too. And we have a lot of members that chase bass and panfish, hopefully they'll weigh in with their favorite patterns.

In the meantime here's a link that might help to Warmwater Fly Tyer's pattern directory
Fly Patterns - Warmwater Fly Tyer - by Ward Bean

If you click on the red links, it will take you to a a bunch of flies, each with tying instructions and step by steps.

Feel free to ask questions as you get into it. Stuff like materials can be very confusing.

You may also be interested in joining one of our fly swaps. I'm starting up a Bass and Panfish fly swap, and folks with all levels of experience (even beginners) are welcome. (See the fly swap forum for the thread)
Thanks for the help. Ive actually been using that site for a few weeks now, and its a very good resource. Ive tried a few of the poppers on the site and i havent had any luck.

I believe its user error though.
How do you correctly fish with a popper?
Old 06-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Keep at it, catching them on top can be a ton of fun.

I like to cast a popper out, wait for the rings to subside and then give it a twitch or two, then wait for the rings to subside, then another twitch or two etc.

It can be nerve wracking knowing that the water can explode anytime.

You might get a bass or two to whack a popper by casting out into open water, but it's generally better to cast near cover like downed trees, to fish along edges of weed lines or lily pads. As the weather warms up in summer, topwater fishing may be best when the sun is lower in mornings or around dusk.