The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 05:11 PM

Walter1023 will become famous soon enough
Default Tying in CDC feathers as wings? any preference

Just curious...I've been tying some CDC caddis that look decent enough. Wondering if there is any "best method". On a size 16 I'll line up 4 feathers....line up the tips as best I can.......and tie them in with feather tips in vertical position. Does it matter whether you line them up like the underside of 2 umbrellas facing each other....or the top of 2 umbrellas facing each other ?? I was also thinking that for tying a spent caddis....it would be more appropriate to simply stack a few feathers (umbrella underside facing the shank) and simply stack them on top of each other ? I hate the fact that a waterlogged CDC fly needs more rehab than any other fly i tie....but on glass smooth water they are hard to beat (and that fact that you have to rehab it means you had some action,,,so you can't complain too much).
Old 05-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tying in CDC feathers as wings? any preference

I stack them too for caddis wings, or sometimes just use 1 cdc feather as an underwing, with some elk or deer hair over it.

But for mayfly spinners with spent wings like the wings on an airplane that lie flush in the film, i tie stack a cdc feathers so they stick out perpendicular to the shank, concave side down (underside of the umbrella down) using one CDC feather on each side for smaller size hooks, 2 stacked CDC feathers on each side for larger size hooks.