The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 01:25 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Simi Seal

Is anyone tying Simi Seal Buggers? What are your favorite colors of Simi Seal for trout?
Old 05-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Simi Seal

I am. I like the Golden Olive for Damsels and I like a black/blood mix for leeches and of course the Golden Browns. Cool stuff, but I use it with a dubbing loop.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:04 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Thanks Joni. PM sent.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:49 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

In AZ they are the new Wooly Bugger.

Tied big or small (AZFF sells magnum Simi Seal), sparse or full, weighted or not, stripped fast like a minnow, slow like a leach, or drug on the bottom like a crawdad, bass, trout, or panfish, AZ Fly Fishermen don't leave home without SSLs.

A newer pattern that I got in a fly swap and I'm now tying because I love it is the Soft Hackle Simi Seal Leech (SHSSL)

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:22 AM

Thanks mudbug. I love your SHSSL. It's either Dark Olive or Peacock is my guess.
It won't be long the SSL could rule everywhere. At our latest outing the most and biggest trout were caught on SSL's.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:23 AM

danielp is on a distinguished road

Dont think I have heard of simiseal over this side of the pond. Is it a synthetic seals fur sub? Might have to try and get hold of some as those flies look pretty awesome, loving the soft hackle, have a nice dark olive partridge on my bench that would look good at the fron of one of those.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielp View Post
Dont think I have heard of simiseal over this side of the pond. Is it a synthetic seals fur sub? Might have to try and get hold of some as those flies look pretty awesome, loving the soft hackle, have a nice dark olive partridge on my bench that would look good at the fron of one of those.
Here is a link to the AZFF site that provides more information: John Rohmer Materials*::*Tying Materials*::*Arizona Simi Seal

Larry

Old 09-08-2011, 01:34 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Anything touted as the be-all, catch-all is something I want to try out! I'm going to need the morale boost when I finally get out there with my fly rod

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

There is just so many colors in this dubbing, it really does cool things.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:30 PM

rvc is on a distinguished road

Down here in Central Florida my main target fish are LM Bass and Bluegills. I understand the colors for bugger type flies for them are black and olive. Is that what would be recommended for this product?

Thanks.

RVC