The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 10:49 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Anyone No Where to Get Best Price On Tungsten Beads

I have some, but unfortunately I need some 2.4 mm or 3/32 Tungsten beads for sz 18's.

I looked on Ebay and didn't find any very good prices, which I find surprising. My smallest ones won't go on my sz 18 hooks.

Besides Gold & Brass what are the best and most commonly used bead colors?
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 05-30-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:32 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone No Where to Get Best Price On Tungsten Beads

Some company called canadian llama has some pretty good prices because they manufacture their own, I tie a lot with black and olive beads.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:10 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I have heard that they were good too, Lancer. I bought some beads from a guy on FAOL. They are good beads. I don't know if he sells tungsten or not. gqualls is his nick on there. I have bought beads from him twice.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
I have heard that they were good too, Lancer. I bought some beads from a guy on FAOL. They are good beads. I don't know if he sells tungsten or not. gqualls is his nick on there. I have bought beads from him twice.
What is "FAOL?"
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:01 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

pm sent to you on this
Old 06-01-2011, 09:39 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Fly Angler's On Line
Old 06-01-2011, 11:19 AM

I've contacted that guy over their, but haven't gotten a reply yet.

So for trout what other colors besides Gold do you all consider consider necessary?

Also do you all think a person can get buy just as well with brass or is the weight difference just too significant?

Brass is so much cheaper and Justin (Allen Fly Fishing) came out with round brass beads this week at a pretty good price, but I found a place that I can purchase a 1000 Brass Beads for $25. Most of the time even when using tungsten I still wrap the hook with led.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:36 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

depending on the size of fly you're tying and what condidtions you're fishing you can double bead flies as well- I tie a stonefly nymph with a bead in the thorax that I coat with clear nail polish after anchoring it (to prevent rust) and then simply tie right over it. The second bead is at the head.

As for colors, I know some tyers that make flies for shad fishing or for salmon/steelhead will paint them with flourescent colors for some extra flash, or red to simulate an egg sucking leech.

In conditions where the fish tend to be more spooky, a dull bead may be beneficial (rather than the bright gold of a brass bead) which is why some tyers use the black or dull nickel beads- but again, no reason you can't achieve this with paint if it's an occasional thing.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:26 PM

Thanks again...

I was searching the web and found an article where the author claimed to weigh tungsten and brass beads and found that tungsten beads are 2.6X heavier than same size brass beads. Thats a pretty big difference. That makes me wonder if either tungsten is over kill or if brass is actually inadequate for the job.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:29 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I think Tungsten really helps with the smaller flies... you want a low profile fly, you don't want to add wrapped weight, or 2 beads, etc.

Bigger flies oyu have options. Beads for 14s-18s - really help - always depends on the water depth and speed - nice t have the options..