The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Best Fly Tying Scissors Under $50?

I have a pair of Dr. Slicks and they do the job, but there are times that even though the blades come to a nice small point I feel like they are to thick and don't allow me to get as close as I'd prefer and I have a pair of surgical scissors that I use for general stuff.

I've been considering getting some Anvils as I've read they are great and some of the blades look pretty thin and I can get them on Ebay less then elsewhere. The only thing is since I have sort of small hands I wonder how the open loops will work for me as I try keep my scissors in my hand all the time, but I end up feeling the need to put them down more than I prefer.

Its kind of funny as I am not reall anal about trying to make my flies into works of art, but I do like them to turn out as properly proportioned and nice as my newbie skill level allows me.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 06-08-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:28 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best Fly Tying Scissors Under $50?

At first I had a few different scissors (most popular brands). After awhile I was always picking up the Anvil's. That's all I use now. With small hands you may want to consider the Anvil Midge model. Those are my style of choice. I keep them in my hand. They are small and light.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I have 2 pair of Anvil "Ice" stainless scissors-small straight and large curved. I like the open loops because you can adjust them to fit your fingers. I believe you can also send the Anvil's in for sharpening.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 06-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Tom: I really like the sixth finger scissors.
JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: Singlebarbed Sixth Finger Scissors

Larry

Old 06-08-2011, 05:04 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

I've tried for years to get used to the concept of 'wearing my scissors' and just can't do it, I find it way too uncomfortable and unless I'm trying to do production tying speed, I don't find it beneficial. I have a styrofoam block on my table that I stick my scissors into blade first, and when I need them, simply slip my fingers into the loops and use them.

I think the surgical scissors you mentioned are called "iris scissors" and yeah, they're great but I wouldn't speak too loudly about the source and price (you might wanna edit that post!) they're anything but cheap!

I like Anvils and I have a pair of Gingher Embroidery Scissors that I got at the Fabric/Craft store- reg price is $35, but they always have 50% off coupons and you can get them sharpened. They also sell a pair of what they call "thread snips" which have tiny spring loaded surgical steel blades, which are real thin and excellent for the fine clean up snipping it sounds like you're referring to.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:23 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

I at the other end from the Anvil Lovers on here. I tried a pair and hated them. I have hands big enough to give Sasquatch a run for his money and the they didn't work well for me. I also think the tip is a little thicker than the Dr. Slick's I use. They go to a fine point but there a little thicker. I love the Dr. Slick 4" tungsten carbide scissors they stay sharp at least twice as long for me than any other pair I have tried. I dont ever put my scissors down when I'm tying and cut wire lead and tinsel with them. Also like the Dr slick Razor scissors but the tungsten one's do go to a little bit finer point. I dont think there is one pair that will work good for everyone. I say go to a fly shop and pull a couple out of the package. See how they fit your hand and look at the tip. It would suck to buy a pair of the computer you have never played with just to find out you dont like them.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:26 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen the "sixth finger" before, looks like a great design for those of us who "wear" our scissors while tying.

I bought a pair of FW Engels about a year ago and love them. They were more than I wanted to spend but the difference between them and my old Dr. Slicks is incredible. They are really sharp. And under $50.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:00 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Best scissors I ever bought were a pair of Dr. Slicks I got for about 60% off from Sierra Trading post. I love them mucho. They seem to get pretty close to me. It might help that most of my flies are huge.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:59 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I use a pair of fine point Dr. Slicks and they work out great for me, sometimes alittle too well and i'll cut part of the knot on accident

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-09-2011, 08:11 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Dr. Sclick scissors 100%. They make a "Micro Tip" model, and the tip is....MICRO. They make them in general purpose and Arrow models.

All-Purpose Micro on left, Arrow Micro on right:
Click the image to open in full size.