The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 02:25 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold
Default If you start seeing WACKY prioces for saddles, here's why

Fly fishermen, fashionistas fight over feathers | Reuters

I had noticed a month or two ago on EBay packs of 5-10 saddle feathers labeled as "Saddle Hackle; Feather Extensions" and the prices were $20-40!!

This tells me we need to buy up what we need and prize them before this gets outta hand, at least until it blows over from the fashion world.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:07 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: If you start seeing WACKY prioces for saddles, here's why

Little late on this, it's been going on for a couple of months now. There is a thread somewhere, about the price of a saddle going on ebay for ovef 400.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:24 PM

pastor dave is on a distinguished road

This is driving me insane, it is hard to find grizzly hackle here because of that. I am contemplating using hair spray as a floatant or something so I can raise the prices of something they care about.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:56 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

The story in general has been discussed here for a while, but there is a new twist in the Reuters article:
Hair Flairs has already bought the bulk of feathers that will be produced in 2012 by Bill Keough at Keough Hackles in southwest Michigan.
Hope Keough enjoys it while it lasts.....
Old 06-11-2011, 05:19 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

The fad made it's way across the country to Idaho. It was on the local news a couple of days ago. Cabela's is pretty much cleaned out. Sportsman's has most small and medium sizes as long as you want white, dun or brown. Haven't checked any of the other shops.
I noticed the Whiting 100's that used to be $12-$14 are now $20.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Last edited by JoJer; 06-17-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Fixed a fatfinger
Old 06-11-2011, 01:45 PM

ctious is on a distinguished road

i took matters into my own hands.. i have 2 people raising birds for me now... total of 70 exotic chickens.. all with good looking colors .. from the stock i got them from i should have good feathers... it will be a while before i can harvest them but at least i know i will be knee deep in feathers for the rest of my life.... i may even end up selling some if this fad is still going on by the time they are ready....lol
Old 06-11-2011, 01:51 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

It's blasphamy to pass chicken feathers off as hair, or hair off as part of a chicken. It was only a little over two hundred years ago that one who did might get dunked in the river. Which is the only place those feathers belong...........

I'm trying any angle.............
Old 06-20-2011, 08:44 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

There is a hackle farm not far from me in Alberta. I went to their website when this fad came to my attention, but alas all of his grizzly was out of stock so he was "in the know" earlier than I was. The fad will fade but it is making it tough on those who are shopping for grizzly especially. Can't blame the farmers for wanting to make some cash for their product, but I am glad I have a bunch in reserve.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:29 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Saw a half saddle that was grizzly on e-bay yesterday going for $299.00 thats just STUPID.. This needs to hurry and pass
Old 06-21-2011, 08:58 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimulator2 View Post
Saw a half saddle that was grizzly on e-bay yesterday going for $299.00 thats just STUPID.. This needs to hurry and pass
That's nothing...I sold a couple of mine for 350-400. But check out this link to a recent e-bay auction...

Whiting Eurohackle Rooster Saddle Grizzly Feathers | eBay

That is by far the highest I have seen paid for one.

In case any of you missed it, there is another long thread about this here:

What a Sick Sick World...

Some good stuff in there, like feather extensions for your dog (pics included)!