The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Fly Finishing Drying Rack Station

I have a Styrofoam block that I've placed my finished flies in or flies waiting for epoxy. I've also used it to hold flies while applying apoxy and while using magic markers to change or ad color. The thing is do to the nature of styrofoam it relatively quickly starts coming apart or won't hold flies firmly enough after a while.

What do you all use for this kind of thing. Soon I'll be using Clear Cure Goo that will dry in seconds with the UV light so I'll be able just do each one while still in the vise.

What do you all use as a place to put your finished flies or as place to place flies for finishing several at a time?
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Finishing Drying Rack Station

I like the one's with bead chain draped across what looks like a couple bookend type things, they hold a buttload of flies too.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 06-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I like the one's with bead chain draped across what looks like a couple bookend type things, they hold a buttload of flies too.
I've never seen one like that before do you know where on the web I could see one?
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking it's a home made unit. I just spent a few trying to find a link or pic and found nothing.

It was a rather simple set-up on a portable tabletop/laptop fly tying area, on the back part (some had it on the side) they had bead chain strung across and all you do is hang the finished fly from it.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 06-09-2011, 11:56 PM

John, You got me think'n, I have some magnetic tape I purchased at Walmart I could build a multi-level wooden fly tying tool caddy and on the sides of each level I can place mag tape and and just put finished flies on the mag strips.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:10 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I've posted this photo before. I use a magnetic knife holder to hold flies that are, for example, having their heads finished. I don't have room to mount if permanently, which would be nice.[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 06-11-2011, 05:11 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I stick my finished flys in a piece of craft foam thats tacked to the shelf edge behind my vise. I don't do much epoxy stuff. When I do, I leave the flies turning on the dryer til they're...dry.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey