The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 12:59 PM

tdibiasio is on a distinguished road
Default waspi poppers

Hi all

Just bought a few sizes of the waspi perfect popper packs (including hooks) and I was wondering what others use to fill in the gap on the bottom of the body after the hook is glued in? I tried a few different things including gorrila poly glue and also some painters chalk.... Just thinking this should be a common thing that I am just missing some thing simple??

Thanks

TomD
Old 06-19-2011, 02:25 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: waspi poppers

Hi Tom,
Any strong and durable adhesive will work. I have been told to use epoxy.

Dennis
Old 06-22-2011, 01:07 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I have cut slots in the bottom of some of my poppers for the hook. Most that I tie now, I melt a hole thru the center with a heated bodkin. Push a cold bodkin thru the body for a "pilot" hole and make sure it's centered and where you want it. I experiment a little with the angle of the hook in re: the bottom of the popper body.
I put a thread base on the hook, insert the hook thru the hole in the popper, and super glue the body in place. With super glue, you have to prefit and know just where and how you want the body on the hook 'cause the glue sets fast. Also, you'll need to set the body on the hook, then tie in weed guards, then glue on the body.
But, no slot underneath to fill in.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 06-22-2011, 08:31 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I use a two-part epoxy - just a marine grade one from Home Depot.