The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2006, 10:09 PM

cavegirlclare is on a distinguished road
Default polar bear hair?

Is it illegal? If so, for how long? Do people still use/sell/buy it? I realize it is controversial. I have 3 very small pieces that were purchased a long time ago. I posted them for sale on ebay and they withdrew my listing. I hope somebody out there can enlighten me. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: polar bear hair?

Don't know about it being illegal. You can buy it at any fly fishing store. Real Seal is a different story however.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

I think it is because the Polar Bear is a protected species under the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) and the Convention in International Trade of Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora(CITES).

Here are a few links that explain more about it all...

http://www.fws.gov/international/pdf...porthunted.pdf

http://www.fws.gov/habitatconservation/50CFR18.pdf

I know working for the company that I do that the CITES and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service folks are no one you want to **** off if you are handling such products and that is probably why EBay pulled your post.

I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 10-29-2006, 04:38 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknight
I think it is because the Polar Bear is a protected species under the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) and the Convention in International Trade of Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora(CITES).

Here are a few links that explain more about it all...

http://www.fws.gov/international/pdf...porthunted.pdf

http://www.fws.gov/habitatconservation/50CFR18.pdf

I know working for the company that I do that the CITES and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service folks are no one you want to **** off if you are handling such products and that is probably why EBay pulled your post.

I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry

Thanks Terry, good to know. Makes sense though. Kinda sucks killing an animal for fly tying material. At least Deer and Elk make good jerky LOL
Old 10-29-2006, 07:47 PM

gregorykicks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni
Thanks Terry, good to know. Makes sense though. Kinda sucks killing an animal for fly tying material. At least Deer and Elk make good jerky LOL
That's why we should just convince polar bears who have migrated to warmer climates to swing by and get a hair cut.
It's a win win situation.

Is polar bear hair water resistant/proof? I'd think it would be so it would make good fly-tying material.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:06 PM

Yes it is very water proof, like snow shoe bunny feet. I do have some shhhhhhhhhh and it makes fantastic caddis.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:37 PM

snow shoe bunny feet? awww.....if any of you guys are interested in my vintage stock PB, let me know. I've got 2 small natural pieces and a bright orange one.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:03 AM

drogers is on a distinguished road

Why do you want to get rid of them?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:23 PM

Re: polar bear hair?

I'm just not tying flies much. I'd like for someone else to have it. Make me an offer ???