The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Tom's Rubber Leg Gold Nugget Stone Fly

This was my first attempt a creating my own fly a Golden Stonefly imitation. I used a size 4 ALLEN 5262 (same as TMC 5262), black brass bead head, black 6/0 uni-thread base, weighted to shank with .25 led free round wire, pumpkin/black flake rubber legs, golden stone trilobal dub hand mixed with dark brown hares mask dub, I wrapped the thorax with the same rubber leg material for segmentation, but next time I think I'll either try black wire or some kind of black bug wrap or possibly black rubber leg material. I used thin black mottled thin skin for the wing case.

This was also my very first time tying with rubber legs.

So what do you all think? I'm feeling pleased with it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Tom's Rubber Leg Gold Nugget Stone Fly

Hey Guys, Hope you all don't mind me bump this up, but I would really appreciate some input from other tyers and others on this tie. As I said this is both my first time attempting to design a fly and my first time ever tying with rubber legs.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Flybum,not easy to give an opinion about a fly....fish may love a fly we find ugly and vice versaanyway your fly looks nice and rubber legs should move and be attractiveIf I had tied one like this one I think I would have chosen a darker rubber and made legs a bit shorter....but not sure I'm right
Old 07-03-2011, 12:24 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Tom, overall it doesn't look bad.
JP is right, we will just nibble at the edges. Legs long etc.....
Check with the fish first chance.
I might go with two goose biots in drk brown for the tails.
Maybe darken the back with a brown/black pen.
Stones that do a cold long winter, are very dark to absorb heat.
When we looked at them, they had some light bands for segmentation on abdomen.
Yellow D rib?
Maybe also tye some without weight for slow water/soft takes.
They really don't weigh much in hand.
Some folks bend the shank a little, for an agonistic arch.
Happy tying...

Jim

Bigfly
Old 07-03-2011, 12:27 PM

JP, thank you for your input I think everyone's input will be invaluable. I do realize its hard to comment a flies.

In case this helps I believe the Golden Stonefly nymph at the following link links nearly identical to the ones in the Truckee River and its what I'm attempting to imitate Acroneuria (Golden Stones) Stonefly Nymph Pictures
Old 07-03-2011, 05:40 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Tom, it's not bad...For the legs I would have done a few less; maybe 3 to a side, and just a touch shorter. I agree with Jim about the darker back and the biot tails...Give it a test run as is and give us a report on it...

Dan
Old 07-03-2011, 09:35 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I'd add goose biots, and cut down on the amount of legs. Looks good though. The rubber legs will make a lot of fish want to hit that fly.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:55 PM

Thank you all for your input. If all works out as I plan I'll have a new version tomorrow that I think will be better.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:26 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Tom,
Here are some notes from my end.
  1. Use a 3x long hook. I would go with a 5263 for a straight shank. Go with a 200R for a bent shank. I prefer my stonefly nymphs on a bent shanked hook.
  2. As for proportions, go 1/3 thorax and 2/3 abdomen.
  3. The abdomen should be more tapered.
  4. A size 4 is a rather large Golden Stone. Sizes 6 to 10 are more NorCal sizes.
  5. If you are going to use a size 4 hook, don't be afraid to use .030" to .035" lead wire.
  6. Run some antennae material through the front of the bead.

Dennis
Old 07-04-2011, 12:47 AM

Dennis, Thanks for the tips! I was in your shop today and met one of the owner's.