The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 08:57 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all
Default Creating Dubbing Brushes

Recently I discovered a new technique (to me) and I am trying it out with limited success. There is this one pattern called the Sleeze Burger tied by Kris Keller that I am attempting to tie. Here is a link to a youtube video.

My problem is that Im not getting the rabbit to flare out like he does. I was just curious if anyone on here was using one and had any tips for me.

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 07-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Creating Dubbing Brushes

Cool fly indeed.

On the flaring, your problem might be that the rabbit strip you're using doesn't have enough fur on it. It looks like he's using a "magnum" strip, which is 1/4" wide instead of 1/8".

A skinnier strip will definitely make for a more sparse dubbing brush.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:11 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I'd agree with cliff. To get a good Rabbit fur brush it realy takes a lot of hair.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:21 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

Alright Ill give some magnums a try. I think another problem I am having is when I cut the hair from the hide. The butt ends of the hair need to be just through the wire. If they are to far through it wont end up flaring out it will just ball up. What I am going to try is place a piece of double sided tape on top of the wood and place the rabbit strip on that to hold it in place.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler185 View Post
Alright Ill give some magnums a try. I think another problem I am having is when I cut the hair from the hide. The butt ends of the hair need to be just through the wire. If they are to far through it wont end up flaring out it will just ball up. What I am going to try is place a piece of double sided tape on top of the wood and place the rabbit strip on that to hold it in place.
I'd try waxing the wire first. Most fly shops will sell "dubbing wax", and I'm told moustache wax is exactly the same stuff.

I think sharp scissors and steady hands are key as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.