The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2006, 12:21 AM

fly n00b is on a distinguished road
Default sinking flies

hello everyone, is there a way to get a fly to sink quickly without adding weight. the flies i am most concerned with are minnows. i don't think i can achieve my goal but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:15 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sinking flies

I use fast sinking line and shorter leaders.One trick I use on the rivers, is to munch the fly in some mud. Coat it real good then toss it out. The mud makes it sink and then once down there the water washes the mud away. Might sound crazy, but Orvis even sales little containers of mud.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:40 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

I agree with Joni. Purchased a sink tip fly line. (thereare many types, or sink rates available, check w/yourlocal fly shop, or check w/Steve @ The Full Creel) Or if you don't want to buy a full blown sink tip thereare small "add-on sink tips" that can be attached to yourregular fly line. Again, check w/Steve.You could also use a weighted hook. Many of the nymphtype flies I tie have some non-toxic wire wrapped aroundthe shank to give them weight. Plus if the nymph has somechenile, marabou, or even rabbit strips it will help it to godown. Take into account the speed/flow rate of the riveryou may be fishing, you may need some type of weight toget the fly down to where the fish are sitting.Best of luck,Tie One On
Old 12-30-2006, 11:28 PM

fly n00b is on a distinguished road

much thanks guys now i cant wait to hit the water!
Old 01-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Flies that are less "fuzzy" will also sink faster. "Fuzz" includes dubbing, wrapped hackle, rabbit strips, or anything that makes a fly bushy instead of sleek and aero/aquadynamic. Anything sticking off of the body of a fly will keep it from sinking as fast as it other wise would. A Clouser tied with less bucktail will sink faster, a wooly bugger with less hackle will sink faster, and a copper john will always sink faster than a bead head hare's ear. A "tuck cast" and mending can also be very helpful, but those are a diferent category of technique.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.