The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 03:34 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about
Default Larva Lace

recently stated tying using larva lace.........
Made an interesting discovery...........it's the same stuff crafters use to do bead work and weave key chains.
Went to Walmart found a package of it in many colors, all translucent, for 3.97/ 200 feet.

The yellow/ chartruese is brilliantly colored and the clear is exactly the same as my "larva". The other colors .......... may figure out some bass flies to use them on. ( Purple/green/blue/red)

Has anybody else found "unique" ways to acquire supplies? Alternatives to overpriced and hard to find?

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 01-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Larva Lace

Michael's for Feathers and Wally World for the same foam they sell int the fly tying stores. In the poster area. Closed Cell foam, some funky colors along with the Tan, Brown, Black, White, Green, ETC. I figure the odd colors will make great paraposts.
Thanks for the tip on the Larva Lace. I knew that but never put the two together till you mentioned it. Guess I am off to Wally's.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:10 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

I have seen old flies that were braided and never could figure out how to do it. Check out the link below. I found this a few weeks ago and it answered my question. This technique works well with Larva lace and many other materials. It makes an awesome looking buggy body. You can use this for and endless amount of different flies with different materials. Enjoy!

http://www.loup-garou.net/tussle.html

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 01-30-2007, 10:07 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Wow...that's cool and so simple.......headed for the bench !!!!!!!!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 01-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroostookbasser View Post
Has anybody else found "unique" ways to acquire supplies? Alternatives to overpriced and hard to find?
There are all kinds of usable tying stuff at sewing shops. Check out Macrame Cord at Walmart. It comes in all colors and several sizes. One roll is a lifetime supply of yarn indicators. I have white, yellow and pink in 3mm and 6mm diamiters. I take 18" and soak it in Hydrostop for a few hours. It will float for ever.-----Frank
Old 01-31-2007, 03:30 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

aroostookbasser, Did you get a chance to try out the weaving pattern? I even tryed it on a size 16 may fly nymph using olive thread and it looked good. Frank mentioned going to a sewing shop for supplies. I picked up some embroidery thread there and made some flies using the weave.

Frank, those shops are a good place to pick up thin swade for crawfish patterns. The one I go to, I buy 6" x 6" pieces that they sell as samples for 50 cents. They sell the stuff for $70 a yard.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*