The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Can't Fish So I Decided To Design a New Fly

Can't go fishing, because my mother is having a very difficult time with her health and I'm pretty sure any day now she will have to go into the hospital. So I decided that I wanted to create another fly of my own.

I'm calling it Tom's Poxiback Kamikazi. What do you all think?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hook: AFF 3761 size 14

Head: 1/8" Gold Bead

Under Body:
Black 8/0 Uni-Thread, .015 Lead Free Round wire (optional).

Abdomen:
Fly Tyer's Dungeon (FTD) Mr. Peacock Dubbing in Peacock

Wing Case: Black Thin Skin with pearl mylar tinsel and covered with Clear Cure Goo (5 Minute Epoxy would be perfect also). Flashabou is perfect for the tinsel. I used FTD HTO Flash, because its exactly the same think as Flashabou only much cheaper.

Thorax: Ringneck Pheasant Tail fibers

Rib: Small Copper Wire

Tail: Ringneck Pheasant Tail Fibers

Legs:
Gold Goose Biots pointed downward
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 07-31-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:25 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Can't Fish So I Decided To Design a New Fly

Tom, sorry to hear about your mothers health issues! Hope all turns out well! My mother is getting up in age too!

Superb looking fly! Very handsome! Should work very well. I'm not a big fan of using biots, just a personal thing, but they do look like they fit in the pattern quite well!
Old 07-30-2011, 04:46 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Tom

Really nice looking fly!!! Should catch fish well!! Hope things get better with your Mom!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 07-30-2011, 06:16 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

that looks so good that I wan to eat it.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:36 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post

I'm calling it Tom's Poxyback Kamikazi.
Hi Tom
Cool name for your fly
I am tying flies like this for a long time now, and I use epoxy....
Old 07-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Tom

Really nice looking fly!!! Should catch fish well!! Hope things get better with your Mom!!
Hi Dave, thanks for the well wishes. Unfortunately she is terminally ill so we are simply hoping and praying that she doesn't suffer grealy.

The fly is fun to tie especially since I'm new to poxy backs. The Clear Cure Goo and curing light really makes getting the epoxy the you want it quite simple.

Hi Tex and Madjoni, Thanks for the complements. Madjoni I'm glad you like the name.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:01 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Tom ...I like the fly too and I am sorry for your mom...
Old 07-30-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjoni View Post
Tom ...I like the fly too and I am sorry for your mom...
Thank you!
Old 07-30-2011, 10:53 PM

rh6898 is on a distinguished road

very nice job.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Very nice work on this nymph Tom! Love the wingcase,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;