The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 11:41 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As if I need another expensive hobby...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Most of us that have been tying for a number of years started witha Thompson Model A vise. For a beginner it can't be beat, great value and will hold up forever.
D.H. Thompson Fly Tying Vise Model A | eBay

Larry
I use a Thompson to this day and have since I upgraded from my old Herter's vise 25 years ago.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:21 PM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

How strange Rip Tide as I started out on a Herter's vice, but it was 53 years ago. Had to throw it away ten years ago as it had rusted out, but that vice served me well.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:04 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I started with a kit/vise and I've been tying for over 10 years. I didn't even know my vise was a POS til I read the Fly Fish Ohio shootout. I "upgraded" to the Cabela's Master a few years ago. It holds hooks and I guess because it's all I've ever used (except for the vise grips pliers I tied my first fly on) it doesn't seem so bad to me. I still got more flys than I know what to do with and I don't think I can blame any quality issues in my tying on the thing holding the hook.
I will have to get something new pretty soon: I've worn out all the spare jaws from the three cheapies I've had. I'm down to using the weird ball shaped jaws and they really suck for smaller hooks.
BTW. Go right to a ceramic bobbin or one with the ceramic end. It'll save you a lot of frustration.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey