The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 03:48 PM

rvc is on a distinguished road
Default Making a dubbing brush

I'm very new to tying. Recently I came across a recipe for a mini-wooly bugger where a dubbing brush was used for the body instead of just regular dubbing. It seems like a good idea to me and so I checked it out and discovered several you-tube videos that showed the wooden trough-type device one uses for making the brushes.

I would like to make this device and wondered if there were standard dimensions that one used for the trough (for lack of a better name). So, how wide, deep and long is it? Better still, are there plans that could be used? ...unless I am treading into someone's copyright - wouldn't want to do that.

Thanks.

RVC

Last edited by rvc; 08-13-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:37 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Making a dubbing brush

I would just do it with your thread. Unless your going to be tying in bulk I don't think you'll find it necessary to build a block.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:28 AM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

I created a thread not to long about the same thing. I needed to create some dubbing brushes for a fly called the Sleeze Burger. You can buy a device called the cyclone dubbing twister or something like that for $60. There was no way I was going to pay that for something I knew I could build.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is how I built it:
(You can make the dimensions as you want)

The base is 14.5 inches long x 5.5 inches wide.

The vertical piece of wood is 11.5 inches long with an inch and a half cut out

I then took a metal screw in hook and glued that into a .22mag casing. I drilled a hole through the post and drilled a screw into the butt end of the casing with a small piece of wood for a handle.

One the other end of the piece of wood I put a screw in place to hole the other end of the wire.

That is pretty much it.

I did find it difficult to get the rabbit to flare out so what I did to help hold the hair in place while removing from the hide is place a piece of double sided tape along the railing.

I havent tried to create a dubbing brush with dubbing I imagine its a little easier to work with.

Here is a youtube video of the Sleeze Burger being tied:

Hope that wasnt to confusing.

Tyler
Old 08-15-2011, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the help.

As I mentioned I'm pretty new to tying and figured I'd start with panfish flies as all I have is a #5 rod. My first flies will be mini-buggers and I have seen that you can use dubbing for the body as opposed to the chenile for the full scale models. I figure the wire in the dubbing brush would make the body a little more wear resistant from strikes from the local bluegill population. Hence my wanting to use a wire brush.

Your brush maker is great and I take it from your comments that anything will work withing reason. I've been checking out other designs on-line and have come up with my own which will be forthcoming.

Thanks again. The responses are appreciated.

RVC
Old 08-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

For the trough on mine, I used two sections of cove molding facing each other-

The wheel is made up of a screw eye run through shower door rollers and into a t-knob, held down by a strap intended for flexible electrical conduit.

I think the whole rig cost $6.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:22 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure that James Leisenring who pioneered the dubbing brush method rolled 'em up on his leg like he was rolling a cigar.
Personally I've always thought that making a dubbing loop right on the hook was much easier
Old 08-15-2011, 07:33 PM

Nice pictures BigCliff. Thanks for sending them. It's neat to see how people come up with different solutions to the same situation. You have some great ideas there and I appreciate your sharing them.

RVC
Old 08-16-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I'm pretty sure that James Leisenring who pioneered the dubbing brush method rolled 'em up on his leg like he was rolling a cigar.
Personally I've always thought that making a dubbing loop right on the hook was much easier
Perhaps the hair he pulled out of his leg in the process added to the dubbing. Let's see... Hare-hair?

RVC
Old 08-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Even after having made that, I still use my Dubbit tool more often-

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:15 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I have the dubbing brush tool made with the stiff fine wire hooks in a brass handle. I looked at building a table and decided I didn't need it. The only downside I've found is that for really big flys, the vise isn't tall enough to make the brush long enoughbut since I rarely tie on 2 or 4 long shank hooks it's not a big deal.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey