The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2007, 05:56 PM

BruceN is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rotary or not?

Thanks Frank, that got it explained. That Nor vise is pretty nifty allright. Expensive, though, and I doubt if I could keep up with it. I'd most likely get myself completely tied up if I tried what he was doing in his demo video.

I think it will be the Peak rotary for me. I'll give you a buzz when I'm ready, Steve, as your price and shipping deal are better than I've seen anywhere else.

Bruce
Old 02-28-2007, 11:46 AM

Gordon Bryson will become famous soon enoughGordon Bryson will become famous soon enough

Cliff has a very good memory. I did chip one of the jaws on my Dan vise. A complete set of jaws from Al Beatty was $20. I filed down the one that I'd chipped and trued up the jaws so it really wasn't a problem. It was more just a cosmetic issue. I've seen the video on the Nor Vise and I've watched a local tyer (before the shop closed) demonstrate some of the features of the Nor vise. Perhaps if I were a professional tyer it would be desirable, however, the number of flies I tie can't really justify such an expenditure.
As for the reasons for a rotary, outside of being able to look at different views, I think the ability to rotate the fly while holding the tying material, whether it be tinsel, palmered hackle, or other hackle is nice. Do you have to have it, no.... but then you don't have to have an automatic transmission in your car or truck, but it's nice to have. I really think it gets down to a personal choice. I realize I've said a lot to have said nothing.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:02 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

I bought a rotary vice when my cheap starter vice wasn't cutting it any more
and I'm never going back to a non rotary vice. I have the Dyna King Barracuda Junior and I love it. I got the clamp model to clamp it on my portable tying bench.

Dyna-King Fly Tying Vises

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 03-02-2007, 10:36 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Rotary speaks for itself.

There are many, many flies I tie that are SOOOOOOO
much easier with a rotary.

Tie in the goodies, hold on to them & just rotate that
vise & watch it build the fly for you.

After having one for sometime & using several brands I
would NEVER tie without one on my bench PERIOD.

Tie One On
Old 03-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

One thing about a rotary, I don't know how many of you make DUBBING LOOPS. I do all the time (like the bushy look). Try that with out a rotary! LOL
Old 03-07-2007, 08:23 PM

FishCampRv will become famous soon enoughFishCampRv will become famous soon enough

I have used both and find the rotary style to be easier to use. I now use a Rezetti Cam Lock Traveler both with a clamp and with base depending where I am tying.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:09 PM

Mik412 is on a distinguished road

I have a Renzetti rotary and love it. When I tie flies there are alot of times when it is faster to hold on to your bobbin and spin the vise to apply thread.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:54 PM

schrob is on a distinguished road

Bruce- you don't NEED a rotary vice to tie showcase flies or fishing flies. A rotary does make it easyer to look at the fly while in your vise, its great for doing ribbing on long streamers and some use it for wrapping hackle. I guess if you really wanted to you could find a whole bunch of things to do. I guess its like buying a car and getting power windows and air conditioning for the first time. Once you have it you would never go back to a stripped down model. If you are thinking of upgrading to another vise then I definatly would go with a rotary. A renzetti traveler or the dyna king cuda jr. would be my only choice for something close to the price range of the other vises. When looking at them make sure its a true rotary that the hook shank can be centered in the turning radius and that the hook holding end of the jaw will not be to close to the arm or other components to cramp you in.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:59 AM

drogers is on a distinguished road

I use the Renzetti Traveler. It has done me well. If you are looking for the best I would have to turn you to the Renzetti Presentation 2000. That vise can bend and turn in just about any direction one would need. I have my eye on that, Thanx to Frank! It grieves me everytime I use my traveler that I really don't "need" a new vise. I like a rotary so I can see what I have done on the other side of the fly as well as spinning hackle and ribs and whatever!

Let us know what you have decided on. I am interested in your decision!
Old 03-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

For those of you who missed the post, this is the Renzetti Presentation 2000 that Darryl is talking about.

Click the image to open in full size.