Rotary or not?

BruceN

Reaction score
OK, I've decided to tie more of my own. Consequently the POS $15 vise I've used for years ain't gonna cut it anymore. I want to get a good one so I only have to buy it once and it'll last me pretty much forever. I'm wavering between a Regal and a Peak or Griffin rotary. Having never used a rotary I'm just wondering if that's what I really want. I've used my boss's Regal and it's very nice, allowing one to position the fly at almost any angle. What do you guys think - rotary or not? And why?Thanks,Bruce

tie one on

Reaction score
When I decided to go rotary I did a lot of research onthe internet & read a lot of articles. After taking 4 tyingclasses at my local shop using a Renzetti that was one ofmy first choices. However, after all my research I foundthat the Peak was a good choice for me. The price wasnot over the top & the warranty was very good (lifetime)I've been tying on my Peak for sometime & I would buyanother. Tie one On

BigCliff

Reaction score
I am a rotary fan and have been for years. I have a Dan-Vise that i've been trying for years to wear out. Its one of the cheapest rotary's out there, and works very well.

Joni

Reaction score
I too took a class (many, many years ago ;-) and I was taught on the Renzetti Traveler. I bought one and have never regretted it. I bought it with the thumb screw, but since, I bought the cam (they both have there advantages. On big flies I have a tendancy (sp) to bump the cam so the thumb screw works great) I also bought a very inexpensive Parachute attachment.
I have had mine for over 15 yrs and have only replaced the "O" ring once. To top it off, I e-mailed Renzetti about where to get the "O" rings and they sent me 5 no charge.
I don't use the rotary all the time, but I know it is there. Like a gun, you might not use it (and hopefully you won't need to, but you still have it in case)

Gordon Bryson

Reaction score
Like Cliff, I use a Dan Vise, and find it quite adequate. I've not tied on any of the other rotaries, so I really can't compare. Our local fly shop manager (before they closed up) tied on a Regal rotary exclusively. I use the rotary capability in turning the fly to possibly get a different perspective on trimming something, or such. Sometimes I will wind tinsel, palmer a hackle, using the rotary feature to wind the material on. I think it's all a matter of personal preference, and one reason I went with the Dan was that it was more affordable and I wasn't sure how much I'd really need or use the rotary function. Just about any of them will last a long time. As Cliff said, he's been trying to wear his Dan out for some time, but they're kinda like the Energizer Bunny..............

BigCliff

Reaction score
One thing about the Dan-Vise though, if you're going to use it to tie itty-bitty stuff (20's and smaller), resist the urge to put the hook at the very tip of the jaws. I cracked one corner of one of the jaws off by doing that. I think Gordon mentioned that the same happened to his, at some point.

Just put the bend of the hook back about 1/16" into the jaws and you should be fine. Even if it does happen, you still will be able to tie small stuff. The small nick out of mine isn't enough to really interfere.

BruceN

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and advice, but I'm not sure I've made my question clear. I'm curious as to what the rotary feature actually does for you, other than being able to look at the fly from different angles (the non-rotary Regal already takes care of that quite nicely). Does tying on a rotary vise make use of some different technique that makes tying faster and easier? I've never seen one of the darn things in action. Should I take a rotary class or something? Think I'll stop by the local this afternoon and see if I can get a quick demonstration...

Bruce

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Bruce,

Well to my mind the only true rotary vise out there where you can spin the fly is the Nor-Vise. With the Nor-Vise you can spin the fly with a flip of your fingers and wind thread on the fly in a hurry. With other rotary vises there is too much mass to spin the fly using this technique. You can use other rotary vises to wind on tinsel or wire by holding the material and rotating the vise. This makes it very easy to place the material exactly where you want it. It is very handy to wrap hackle. You tie in the hackle and then rotate the vice holding the hackle. This gives a very presice hackel wrap. It is quick to unwrap and re-wrap until you get the hackel just right. All of this can be done with a non-rotary vise but not as quickly or as easily.

Frank

Nor-Vise

BruceN

Reaction score
Thanks Frank, that got it explained. That Nor vise is pretty nifty allright. Expensive, though, and I doubt if I could keep up with it. I'd most likely get myself completely tied up if I tried what he was doing in his demo video.

I think it will be the Peak rotary for me. I'll give you a buzz when I'm ready, Steve, as your price and shipping deal are better than I've seen anywhere else.

Bruce

Gordon Bryson

Reaction score
Cliff has a very good memory. I did chip one of the jaws on my Dan vise. A complete set of jaws from Al Beatty was $20. I filed down the one that I'd chipped and trued up the jaws so it really wasn't a problem. It was more just a cosmetic issue. I've seen the video on the Nor Vise and I've watched a local tyer (before the shop closed) demonstrate some of the features of the Nor vise. Perhaps if I were a professional tyer it would be desirable, however, the number of flies I tie can't really justify such an expenditure.
As for the reasons for a rotary, outside of being able to look at different views, I think the ability to rotate the fly while holding the tying material, whether it be tinsel, palmered hackle, or other hackle is nice. Do you have to have it, no.... but then you don't have to have an automatic transmission in your car or truck, but it's nice to have. I really think it gets down to a personal choice. I realize I've said a lot to have said nothing.

Colorado Cajun

Reaction score
I bought a rotary vice when my cheap starter vice wasn't cutting it any more
and I'm never going back to a non rotary vice. I have the Dyna King Barracuda Junior and I love it. I got the clamp model to clamp it on my portable tying bench.

Dyna-King Fly Tying Vises

tie one on

Reaction score
Rotary speaks for itself.

There are many, many flies I tie that are SOOOOOOO
much easier with a rotary.

Tie in the goodies, hold on to them & just rotate that
vise & watch it build the fly for you.

After having one for sometime & using several brands I
would NEVER tie without one on my bench PERIOD.

Tie One On

Joni

Reaction score
One thing about a rotary, I don't know how many of you make DUBBING LOOPS. I do all the time (like the bushy look). Try that with out a rotary! LOL

FishCampRv

Reaction score
I have used both and find the rotary style to be easier to use. I now use a Rezetti Cam Lock Traveler both with a clamp and with base depending where I am tying.

Mik412

Reaction score
I have a Renzetti rotary and love it. When I tie flies there are alot of times when it is faster to hold on to your bobbin and spin the vise to apply thread.

schrob

Reaction score
Bruce- you don't NEED a rotary vice to tie showcase flies or fishing flies. A rotary does make it easyer to look at the fly while in your vise, its great for doing ribbing on long streamers and some use it for wrapping hackle. I guess if you really wanted to you could find a whole bunch of things to do. I guess its like buying a car and getting power windows and air conditioning for the first time. Once you have it you would never go back to a stripped down model. If you are thinking of upgrading to another vise then I definatly would go with a rotary. A renzetti traveler or the dyna king cuda jr. would be my only choice for something close to the price range of the other vises. When looking at them make sure its a true rotary that the hook shank can be centered in the turning radius and that the hook holding end of the jaw will not be to close to the arm or other components to cramp you in.

drogers

Reaction score
I use the Renzetti Traveler. It has done me well. If you are looking for the best I would have to turn you to the Renzetti Presentation 2000. That vise can bend and turn in just about any direction one would need. I have my eye on that, Thanx to Frank! It grieves me everytime I use my traveler that I really don't "need" a new vise. I like a rotary so I can see what I have done on the other side of the fly as well as spinning hackle and ribs and whatever!

Let us know what you have decided on. I am interested in your decision!