The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2007, 10:29 AM

BruceN is on a distinguished road
Default Rotary or not?

OK, I've decided to tie more of my own. Consequently the POS $15 vise I've used for years ain't gonna cut it anymore. I want to get a good one so I only have to buy it once and it'll last me pretty much forever. I'm wavering between a Regal and a Peak or Griffin rotary. Having never used a rotary I'm just wondering if that's what I really want. I've used my boss's Regal and it's very nice, allowing one to position the fly at almost any angle. What do you guys think - rotary or not? And why?Thanks,Bruce
Old 02-26-2007, 10:35 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rotary or not?

When I decided to go rotary I did a lot of research onthe internet & read a lot of articles. After taking 4 tyingclasses at my local shop using a Renzetti that was one ofmy first choices. However, after all my research I foundthat the Peak was a good choice for me. The price wasnot over the top & the warranty was very good (lifetime)I've been tying on my Peak for sometime & I would buyanother. Tie one On
Old 02-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I am a rotary fan and have been for years. I have a Dan-Vise that i've been trying for years to wear out. Its one of the cheapest rotary's out there, and works very well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Bruce,Remember that a good vise will last a lifetime and then some. Get the best you can afford and you won't be sorry. Take a look at the new Renzetti Presentation 2000. http://www.renzetti.com/product.php?...3&cat=0&page=1 It is a very nice vise. ----Frank
Old 02-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

For the money... you just can't beat a PEAK Rotary Vise http://cgi.ebay.com/PEAK-Rotary-Vise...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 02-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I too took a class (many, many years ago ;-) and I was taught on the Renzetti Traveler. I bought one and have never regretted it. I bought it with the thumb screw, but since, I bought the cam (they both have there advantages. On big flies I have a tendancy (sp) to bump the cam so the thumb screw works great) I also bought a very inexpensive Parachute attachment.
I have had mine for over 15 yrs and have only replaced the "O" ring once. To top it off, I e-mailed Renzetti about where to get the "O" rings and they sent me 5 no charge.
I don't use the rotary all the time, but I know it is there. Like a gun, you might not use it (and hopefully you won't need to, but you still have it in case)
Old 02-26-2007, 04:00 PM

Gordon Bryson will become famous soon enoughGordon Bryson will become famous soon enough

Like Cliff, I use a Dan Vise, and find it quite adequate. I've not tied on any of the other rotaries, so I really can't compare. Our local fly shop manager (before they closed up) tied on a Regal rotary exclusively. I use the rotary capability in turning the fly to possibly get a different perspective on trimming something, or such. Sometimes I will wind tinsel, palmer a hackle, using the rotary feature to wind the material on. I think it's all a matter of personal preference, and one reason I went with the Dan was that it was more affordable and I wasn't sure how much I'd really need or use the rotary function. Just about any of them will last a long time. As Cliff said, he's been trying to wear his Dan out for some time, but they're kinda like the Energizer Bunny..............
Old 02-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

One thing about the Dan-Vise though, if you're going to use it to tie itty-bitty stuff (20's and smaller), resist the urge to put the hook at the very tip of the jaws. I cracked one corner of one of the jaws off by doing that. I think Gordon mentioned that the same happened to his, at some point.

Just put the bend of the hook back about 1/16" into the jaws and you should be fine. Even if it does happen, you still will be able to tie small stuff. The small nick out of mine isn't enough to really interfere.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:15 PM

BruceN is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the replies and advice, but I'm not sure I've made my question clear. I'm curious as to what the rotary feature actually does for you, other than being able to look at the fly from different angles (the non-rotary Regal already takes care of that quite nicely). Does tying on a rotary vise make use of some different technique that makes tying faster and easier? I've never seen one of the darn things in action. Should I take a rotary class or something? Think I'll stop by the local this afternoon and see if I can get a quick demonstration...

Bruce
Old 02-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Bruce,

Well to my mind the only true rotary vise out there where you can spin the fly is the Nor-Vise. With the Nor-Vise you can spin the fly with a flip of your fingers and wind thread on the fly in a hurry. With other rotary vises there is too much mass to spin the fly using this technique. You can use other rotary vises to wind on tinsel or wire by holding the material and rotating the vise. This makes it very easy to place the material exactly where you want it. It is very handy to wrap hackle. You tie in the hackle and then rotate the vice holding the hackle. This gives a very presice hackel wrap. It is quick to unwrap and re-wrap until you get the hackel just right. All of this can be done with a non-rotary vise but not as quickly or as easily.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.

Nor-Vise