The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 12:57 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Resurrecting the Alexandra

I've been thinking lately back to my first days of fly fishing and especially fly tying, and i recall this was one of the first flies i ever tied, albeit not very well back then.
I remember also fishing it, though with limited success (think presentation), and i do recall a single day on a lake when the guy beside me was fishing one and absolutely hitting fish with every cast....so i know it works well. He even gave me one from his box, and i got a few tugs on the line that day, but was too slow (think young and inexperienced) on the uptake to make it count.

Now that i'm bit older and hopefully wiser, i'm think the Alexandra is a fly i will start to tie again, primarily for its beauty and simplicity, but also for the memories of my beginnings in this fly fishing/tying craze! Not to mention the fact that i truely believe i can catch fish with it - trout, steelhead and maybe even a salmon or two...wishful thinking i guess, but if you don't try you'll never know.

Behold. The Alexandra

Click the image to open in full size.

Addicted To Vise
Old 08-15-2011, 01:24 PM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Resurrecting the Alexandra

You know when this fly was first introduced into the uk it was banned as most chalkstream owners felt it was taking too many trout. A real oldie but goodie which will certainly still catch trout.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:27 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytier07 View Post
You know when this fly was first introduced into the uk it was banned as most chalkstream owners felt it was taking too many trout. A real oldie but goodie which will certainly still catch trout.
I'm originally from NI, so i'm familiar with the history, but today i just got thinking about it again...Lets see on the next trip. Might also throw in a Bloody Butcher for good measure on a tandem rig

Addicted To Vise
Old 08-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice tie. Thanks for posting it.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:13 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I love this pattern too. I've never tied it yet for some odd reason. It is a beauty.