The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 12:26 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Plans or ideas for a tying desk?

Howdy all, its been a while since ive been on. Fly fishing and fly tying has kind of been forced to take the back seat because of schooling and work (only been on the stream for 2 hours this summer!!

Anyways, I just started my senior year of high school. I am forced to make a senior project in order to graduate and im not sure what to do. I thought about building a fly rod but its just too much work for me and im afraid ill mess it up. I am looking at building a nice fly tying desk. Something that is fairly big so that it will hold my vise, tools, threads, etc have nice drawers for holding other small tools materials. Maybe a couple of Larger drawers for my hook organization etc. Wont be storing any major materials in the desk (hackles, hides, tails, etc). Then I want to be able to either slide a cover over it (like a roll top desk) or fold a wood cover it so that my vise is covered and out of the dust but also so that it looks neat and tidy.

Anyone have any plans that they are willing to share? ive looked in a few wood crafting magazines for just desks but nothing that I really like.

Thanks

John H.

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

And.... stupid me forgot that i already asked this question last year...woops
Old 09-01-2011, 01:53 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Plans or ideas for a tying desk?

Hi John,

I've wondered where you got to but had not yet sent a 'proof of life' PM to you. I use what was originally intended to be a rolling kitchen / prep station. It has caster wheels and each end has a drop leaf extension. I bought it for 25 dollars at a moving sale in 2005 and have been using it ever since.

If you are going to make your tying table in wood shop then you can pretty well have whatever you want. Remember to consider what you want to use for a chair or stool while you're at it. You might as well have the tying surface at a hight that will match your place where you sit so that you will be as comfortable as possible. Make it large enough but not so big that it takes up too much space, I have downsized several times over the years and it has not affected the quality of my flies.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-01-2011, 08:43 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Building a fly rod takes about 6-8 hours for a beginner and it's not hard.
If you can tie flies, you can easily build a rod.

Quote:
I thought about building a fly rod but its just too much work for me and im afraid ill mess it up
Old 09-01-2011, 09:56 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I think building your tying desk would be a great, but building a rod is not that tough - it takes some work and patience, but until you put the epoxy on the wraps there's not much you can do to mess it up since you can cut thread off and re-wrap easily. It's fun to build a jig and drying set-up for your build too.

I don't have plans for building one, but have seen some great ones for sale. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Hey John,

Good luck with whichever project you seek to do! While at first I was also intimidated by building a fly rod, a lot of people on the forums have made it a lot more approachable. Now it is just the money that is holding me back!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-02-2011, 12:12 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Haha I'm still here just the lack of near by fishing has forced me to take up shooting as my main hobby.

Let's say I build a rod, what would be a good length and weight? I know this belongs in another section but it would be silly to go start 10 more threads. My main and only trout rod is a 9' 5wt st croix triumph. I tend to fish smaller rivers and big creeks so I was thinking a 7-7.5' 3or4 wt. Thoughts?
Old 09-02-2011, 12:35 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Sounds like a good idea! Now what sort of shooting have you been doing? I did a lot of shooting in college, of a lot of different types.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-02-2011, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hello John, good to see you posting again too.

I think a rod is the far easier project, but since you have all year to get the project done, why not build a desk that will be with you forever and that you could someday hand down to a future son or grandchild?

Something that a hundred years from now someone can look at it and say... "What a fine piece of work, the person who built this put their heart and soul into this."

Just my 2 pennies worth.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 09-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey flyfisher117, good to see you back on the board--

A desk sounds like a lot of work-- especially if you're going to be building drawers and doing dovetails and a roll top for it. It could be an awesome project if you have the time, tools and access to experienced wood workers that can help you through some of the tougher parts.

Another option and maybe a bit more manageable is to build a portable bench that is designed as a work surface for your tying but is also designed to hold tools thread etc. I use one in conjunction with rubbermaid type bins to hold materials, and since I don't have a dedicated tying room I place it on a desk or table top to tie. If you had room to keep things permanently set up, you could use a door as a table top and place it on top of 2 of those rolling three-drawer kitchen storage things with plastic drawers to hold materials

Here are some examples of benches made by Oasis just to give you a flavor for some of the options: Oasis Benches, The Finest in Fly Tying Benches!

I can also take and post pics of the one I use (purchased for around $35 years ago at a winter fly fishing show) with measurements.

And you've heard from the experts about building a fly rod-- Auntie Em posted a great thread about building one: Let's do it again!! Build a fly rod, that is!!

And on the first page there is a wealth of information- in the 9th post Betty gives examples and costs of 2 rods built on the same blank with different components and in the 10th post she lists a ton of information about suppliers.

Good luck -- keep us posted on your project.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I found an old picture of my tying table. Good that it's an older shot because there isn't so much stuff piled on that you can't see the table. It was meant to be a kitchen work station and I found it at a moving sale for $25. You can see that there are 2 drop leaves on the ends that make it nice and wide for more stuff but it is not real deep. The size and construction make it easy to move and you can fit it in almost anywhere. Plans for something like this may be common and the project would not be hard if your school has a wood shop program. I've tied flies on classic oak roll top desk, another custom build that I left in Colorado, picnic tables at rest areas, you name it but the one in the picture is as good as any.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;