The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 08:45 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default different wings for the Kelly's Cajun FW flies...

Okay I finally have the first ones done. The FW-G has a cruddy head, so I am not posting it. The G stands for Gadwall. I am gonna have to do another one for a better picture. I have posted one to my Photobucket though. Here are a few, comments welcome about the different wings.

Click the image to open in full size.

Gadwall feather FW-G

Pintail feather FW-P

Below is my favorite...the Kelly's Cajun FW-LWD (lemon wood duck) I have three different views here for this one.

All of these are my first attempts. The one with Pintail was a good fly, but the glare messed up the photo on the eyes. The Gadwall (FW-G) head was not good, so I didn't post it. The Pintail had a great shape, and it looked really nice in person. The Bronze Mallard wing was pretty, but I like the Lemon Wood Duck better. The barred flank of the Wood Duck was very nice, but if you are using one feather, it is not always uniform from one side of the feather, to the other. Still it is a showy fly, and I am sure it will work well. The first version with the mallard was nice, and most people have access to Mallard, that is why I used it. But the Lemon Wood Duck gets my vote for my favorite wing. I have not tried Teal on it, but I already have that on the Shaman Lance. I am probably going to try this with Teal, just an as alternative. I am also going to use gold and copper on some of these. I found some copper tinsel chenille, and black tinsel chenille. So I will be playing with that too. I ordered some last night.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:43 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: different wings for the Kelly's Cajun FW flies...

Well proportioned and symmetrical...Great work Kelkay

Just starting streamer tying myself, looking at your work, I have a long way to go.

Dave
Old 09-04-2011, 09:50 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Thank you Dave. I am glad you liked them. I have enjoyed playing around with these so far.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:52 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

They are all great looking and way out of my League, but I like the first one mostly for the contrast in color on the wing.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:02 PM

Thank you, I like that one too. But the Wood Duck like that is hard to find the right feather. They are not usually symmetrical for me. One side of the feather is gorgeous. On the other half of the feather, the bars are not usually as wide, or consistent in the pattern. I have just a few of these, and most do not have a straight stem, which is something you also look for, for this pattern. I like the bold look, with the black head too...it really stands out. Thanks for your opinion.
These flies are not hard to tie at all. The head is the only time consuming part. You can keep the head black, paint the eyes, or use stick on eyes.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:42 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

They all look very fishy, but I think the combination of the flash, the way the feather patterns seems to mimic scales, and the bits of red on the LWD just looks like a deadly minnow pattern, but what do I know

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-05-2011, 11:09 AM

Thank you. I like your thoughts on the separate areas of the fly, and what they represent.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Kelly,

I think you will be very happy with the wing on your flies. Not only is the use of a whole feather easier than trying to match duck flank slips but it provides a durable fly. They will stand up to repeated use and many fish tied this way and the action and profile are both good.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-05-2011, 03:17 PM

Thank you. I think you are right. I cannot wait to get them wet. We are suffering severe drought here. Wildfires are everywhere around where I live. They have been evacuating people too. It will not be much longer, and I can fish. The weather finally started cooling over the past days. I have been waiting on fall, big time. It is one of my favorite times to fish here.