The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 06:58 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough
Default Allen Fly Shop Hooks

Does anyone use them for their flies, they seem to be a great price. I usually use the Mustad but if these are comparable...... Any reviews would be appreciated.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:45 PM

smalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Allen Fly Shop Hooks

I've been using them for almost a year. Good hooks, and you sure can't beat the price! I just ordered a bunch of the stinger hooks to tye some smallie flys on.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:58 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalliesrule View Post
I've been using them for almost a year. Good hooks, and you sure can't beat the price! I just ordered a bunch of the stinger hooks to tye some smallie flys on.
what are the stinger hooks you use from Allen? are the comparable to the Gamakatsu B10S?

i just ordered 400 nymph and scud hooks...would definitely use their stingers too if they are like the B10S

Addicted To Vise
Old 09-05-2011, 08:00 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I've got a few bags of the Allen hooks, can't wait to get a vise and some other materials and start tying my own flies!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-05-2011, 08:36 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough

I use 'em. I just got in an order of around 1100 hooks from Justin a couple weeks ago. I tie on them exclusively now....

-Forrest
Old 09-05-2011, 09:08 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

These are the only hooks I use (if he sells the particular size/style I'm looking for). Every now and then you'll find a damaged hook, but:
a: You can't beat the price
b: Justin goes above and beyond to make sure you're happy with your purchase
c: Free Shipping and discounted fly boxes
Old 09-06-2011, 06:08 AM

rvc is on a distinguished road

I'm new to flytying and I appreciate the heads-up regarding these hooks.

Forgive the hijack, but what happened to their fly lines? I was heading toward a purchase and discovered that most of what he used to carry are either sold out or unavailable.

Thanks.

RVC
Old 09-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to behold

Hi RVC,

The lines are the last to get updated with our move. I'll update those here soon. As for th hooks. We will be adding over 30 new hooks over the next 60 days. Very excited on the expansion of the hook line.

Thanks

Justin
Old 09-06-2011, 08:16 AM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

I was just looking at that Justin, I think I can last until then and maybe check those out, thanks for the info.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:44 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I get the idea... they're inexpensive, but what about other aspects of these hooks?
Are they strong, sharp and well formed? I'm all for cheap hooks but also appreciate the qualities in a hook that helps me land fish.
Thanks.