The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007, 12:20 PM

schrob is on a distinguished road
Default What makes you buy a book.

Am just curious as to what makes most folks buy certain tying books. Price, referred by a friend, good looking cover? I don't like sitting in a shop and reading a whole book before I decide to by it or not, and sometimes they just don't have the book in question. A lot of the time I'll go by the cover just because that all I have to go by. Why do the rest of you buy what you have.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:15 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What makes you buy a book.

The books I have bought over the years were mostly
recommended to me by the very knowledgeable owner
of the fly shop I frequent. The tying books were very good
for descriping tying techniques as well as good illustrations
showing various methods. One book actually shows a photo
of the insect that a particular fly will mimics & gives a very
good synopsis of the insects life/habits & shows several
variations of the fly. If tying is something you are looking
to take up it's good to know what your trying to imitate
so that what you are putting out there looks good to the
fish. Check with your local fly shop, or ask & I'll give you
the info on the shop I know & trust.

Tie One On
Old 03-24-2007, 02:42 PM

drogers is on a distinguished road

At first I bought mine based on what I thought I needed. Until someone told me to get the Benchside Reference (which I am sure most of you already have). Now that is the book I tell everyone to get. If anyone really wants to tie and tie right thats the book to get. However..... many money!

I would have to respond by saying I would buy a tieing book based on a friends recommendation!

Darryl
Old 03-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I have always bought based on who wrote the book. My first book by A.J. McClain my last book by Lefty Kreh.

Frank
Old 03-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I buy about the same way Frank does, based on the author. The best i've got is Gary LaFontaine's "Trout Flies", because it gives background on the very unique and effective flies explained in it, along with some very amusing stories like only Gary could write.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I buy about the same way Frank does, based on the author. The best i've got is Gary LaFontaine's "Trout Flies", because it gives background on the very unique and effective flies explained in it, along with some very amusing stories like only Gary could write.
Cliff,

Gary LaFontaine really knew his stuff. His book "Caddisflies" is a classic. His Sparkle Pupa is a special fly that more people should use. I have been a member of his Book Mailer for years.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

I would have to agree with Frank & Cliff as well. Also, depends upon the type of flies that I want to tie. Just recently I have read Ed Engle's "Tying Small Flies".

Both of the LaFontaine's books that Frank and Cliff mentioned are on my summer's reading list. The Sparkle Pupa is one of my favorite dropper patterns when the Caddis are about. I've yet to learn how to tie one yet. I guess I'll have to wait for the book.

Later,
Terry
Old 03-26-2007, 03:16 PM

schrob is on a distinguished road

I guess I'm the odd duck. Normally I flip through a book and take a look at the pictures. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Have a book thats all in spanish on mayflies, caddis, stones and such. The photo's of these insects are like something you would see in Paul Schmooklers books, incredible. The names are in their latin form so you can you can figure it out from there but everything else is in spanish. Now I bought this book strickly for the pictures and at 200 dollars feel its worth every penny haven't seen anything close to it. Wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't seen it first. Thats what got me thinking how some of you buy them. Have a lot of books by all the big name folks and have a lot by people you never heard of and found them just as usefull but I normally have to flip through it before buying it.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I've got Caddisflies as well, and its actually probably a more important book to our sport. Its just a bit too much like a biology textbook to be called my favorite.

Terry you might really like it since yer a bigger entmylogical hobbyist than I am.

Tying the ESP is one of those things that can be an exercise in frustration if you try too hard at it. If I recall correctly, Gary insists that it must be tied with combed out sparkle yarn (tri-strand) and that the body be "touch dubbed". I usually tie mine with the straight and untwisted "antron yarn" sold by Wapsi on cards, and go with a sparsely dubbed antron or haretron type dubbing underneath. I'm definitely not saying that my shortcuts produce a more effective fly than Gary's original, but they do work. Following his instructions on manipulating the yarn to surround the body of the fly is the key to the kingdom. The caddis green version can be very effective up there on the LMF as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:42 AM

drogers is on a distinguished road

Tell me more about this book Frank. I am always looking for something else to help me understand more about what we are trying to imitate.