The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 01:34 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb A Big Thumbs Up to Joni and her furled leaders.

Only used a furled leader once (a three weight rod) from a 'National Brand' was anything but impressed. 'Un-impressed' in every sense of the term.

Headed off to Montana the first of this month to fish the Bitterroot (et al - still here and out again tomorrow) and said 'what the heck' and did some research as the Folks in the UK are 'loud and clear' on their love of this bit of kit. First thing I come across is 'Jeese Louise' they're expensive, but given how their made that's understandable.

Then someone put me on to the Utahflygirls furled leaders and ordered up three. Put one on a 6'6" baby Boo, another one on an 8'6" and the third on a 12'6'' spey. For context all of these are 3wt rods.

First impression right out of the packages is 1) these are obviously very well constructed and wound TIGHT; 2) small rings at the tippet end to make adding/changing tippets out a total breeze; 3) the choice of leaders was rod size dependent, one size does NOT FIT ALL;; 4) nice 'stiffness' from beginning to end to transmit cast energy from the shortest rod to the longest (almost twice the length); 5) and best of all .... far less expensive than the 'National Brand.'

Used flies from #10's down to 14's, dry's, skatters, bead heads on all three rods and her furled leaders just plain worked a treat.

Fred Evans

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 09-16-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:21 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: A Big Thumbs Up to Joni and her furled leaders.

Fully agree! I really like them for nymphs. If you use an indicator, you don't get the kink in the butt section when you remove it. It's also really nice to just add another piece of tippet onto the ring at the end of the leader when you get caught on the junk in the river, instead of ruining a leader.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:03 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yep, the furled leaders joni makes are top notch!

casey

ARFE
Old 09-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my, thank you so very much!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:19 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: A Big Thumbs Up to Joni and her furled leaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Oh my, thank you so very much!
Credit where Credits due; you really do build a superior product and folks should be aware. Too easy to buy a 'lower level' product (same/similar type) and do a 'WTF?'

Joni, you really do set "The Standard," or bar if you wish for this type of product.

Fred Evans
Old 09-12-2011, 09:47 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I agree about Joni's furled leaders. I am a customer for life. I bought a stack of them from her last time I ordered. She has the best furled leaders I've ever seen.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:37 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Joni, I love the leaders you sent me, just wish I could use them more
Old 09-16-2011, 09:20 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Now you all need to get some of Joni's break-away, deep-water nymphing strike indicators and have her reveal her secrets for using that method in stillwaters. She definitely knows her stuff!

Kelly.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Kelly. I will be at Macks Inn RV all week and I have more.....