The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 03:25 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough
Default Microwaving materials

I currently freeze everything that enters my tying supplies but In an old thread on this board I read one guy, forgot the members name, zapped his furs in a microwave, This sounds like a great way to kill anything and have the material ready to use quickly. Question is does anyone do this and if so Can you use this method on your feathers also, if so how long do you recommend they be in the microwave, These are commercial hides and feathers I am talking about, not road kills I pick up.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:01 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Microwaving materials

I also freeze a lot of my material if I have any concerns, and for longer term storage. I've nuked materials, but you have to be real careful, because it will literally cook it! I've made some mistakes with too much time in microwaves, and had capes sizzling, and feather stems bursting. The feathers generally won't cook, unless they're damp, but if still on the skin, that skin will cook, and when it happens it heats up the stems. Now, if I nuke them, it's like 5-10 seconds at a time and no more.

Also, heating them in a microwave will often bring out excess oils that may still be present in the skin, so you'll possibly end up with the feathers oily, and having to clean them. A good de-greasing dish detergent will do the job, but it's just more work to go thru to make them usable!
Old 09-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Bruce,

If these are materials you have purchased in a shop or ordered from a fly tying distributer I wouldn't worry greatly about bugs. I'm old school and keep a moth ball in with my capes, that's about it for my pest control.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-12-2011, 07:19 AM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Yes they Ard, I always have been a little paranoid of any materials after reading of people losing a lot of their supply to bugs. I do understand that most of the infestation occurs when untanned materials are introduced into the stock, but it would be just my luck to get the one patch of fur or wing that slipped through the cracks so I was just thinking this might be quicker and maybe better way of assuring nothing lives.

Thanks for the heads up on how long to nuke em Jim, I will probably do that just so I can tell the wife there is nothing living in them, my tying desk is in my bedroom much to my wife's chagrin, she just looks at the desk and starts scratching.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:22 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Some good info in this thread Preserving materials
Old 09-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

When most of the tying materials have been purchased from shops and the hides and skins are already cured, I've always associated trouble with moths. Especially those little guys who want to get into your dry goods like flour and rice supplies. That's why the moth ball.............

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;