The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 12:14 AM

gusto is on a distinguished road
Default Tying Wings....

Can anyone give me some pointers on tying wings? I'm looking at tying some blue wing olives, and all the photos I've seen have these perfect little wings just jutting up, but when I go to tie them it seems like they're always cock-eyed.

My other question on wings is where to get them from on the hackle? The obvious answer, it would seem anyway, is from the hackle tips, but that's also where all the smaller barbs are for my smaller flies. Do I have to sacrifice my smaller barbs to make good wings?

Thanks again,

Gusto
Old 06-22-2010, 02:20 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Tying Wings....

Gus,

Learning to tie winged dry flies that will look like the pictures will take some practice and a bit of finesse but you will learn. The best thing I can offer is to invest in a good book on fly tying that includes step by step photos along with text instructions. I can not begin to write this up or to supply pictures that would help to illustrate what I would be trying to convey through the writing. So many people have dedicated extensive work in producing a multitude of good fly tying books, a trip to your local fly shop and browsing the shelves will do wonders for you on this.

As for those hackle tip wings like used on the BWO, Adams, Pale Evening Dunn, etc......... don't use your small neck hackles, use the larger feathers on the bottoms of the capes. Strip away all the barbs from the quills until all you have are sets of little tips that will form your wings for you.

Hope that helps you out a bit,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-22-2010, 10:06 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I had to have my tying mentor show me which neck to get. It was soft webby hackle with small rounded tips. I think maybe hen, but not sure. Until then I had about given up, and was tying almost everything parachute style.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:47 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Here's a great SUPER DETAILED tutorial on how to tie hackle tip wings.

t r o u t f l i e s . c o m
Old 06-22-2010, 09:45 PM

gusto is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the link and advice. I found some of those rounded hackles from the bottom of the cape. Now I'm working on my first hair-winged Royal Wulff... We'll see how that one comes out!

Gusto
Old 06-23-2010, 11:07 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Yep, Harry's tutorial on hairwings is pretty awesome too... but my favorite one is on biots. And the CDC Biot caddis is a KILLER PATTERN!!!