The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 10:39 PM

jack crack jones is on a distinguished road
Default Wapsi Kits???? Other brands? Opinions Please

I have never tied a fly in my life. I am looking for a starter kit with tools to get me going. I'm only looking to learn a handful of flies I use regularly right away:

1. scuds
2. woolly buggers and BH buggers
3. BH prince
4. some midges and copper johns
5. cracklebacks
6. deer hair pellets
7. Clouser minnows

I've looked at the Wapsi Deluxe Kit. It seems to contain most of what I want, in tools and many of the designs.

Does anyone have any experience with a Wapsi kit? Are there others that people would recommend?
Old 09-16-2011, 11:59 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wapsi Kits???? Other brands? Opinions Please

I have not used that kit so can't speak to the quality of what's in it.

I bought my tools individually and am very happy with the quality - some kits I've seen skimp here and there (or everywhere) and whoever buys the kit will end up re-buying everything if they want quality. I say that with the caveat that I can't speak to the Waspi deluxe kit in particular.

If you don't do a kit, just get the stuff you need to tie a few patterns - wooly buggers in 2 or 3 colors, larger nymphs, etc. and go from there. I found getting full packs of materials needed for buggers is really cheap and you can tie tons of flies with them.

Maybe someone will tell you the Waspi deluxe kit is great, but that's my 2 cents.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:05 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wapsi Kits???? Other brands? Opinions Please

William gave some good feedback.

I sell the Wapsi kits at the shop. The materials are decent, but they are in small quantities. The tools are functional, but you are better off piecing better qualities tools.

I like to sell the kits to people who are unsure if tying is for them. It is a small investment that some can live with if they decide not to pursue tying.

Dennis