The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 07:08 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough
Default Tying Flies for Spin Casting

I tie my own flies for myself. My son who is 13 only wants to spin cast and has no desire to try fly fishing. Last week I thought I would take him out and tie on the flies I use with a tin sinker on the line, thinking the weight of the sinker would provide enough heft. That was a huge mistake ; So I went to Dicks Sporting Goods to pick up some lures for him. For one thing I couldn't figure out what lures to buy. I only found a very small number that look like any fly I've ever tied. All the rest were some weird looking item with a spoon or something or other. Then I saw the prices and just about had a heart attack. I don't see any reason why I couldn't tie flies that a spin caster could use. Can anyone point me in the right direction for recipes and supplies? I only seem to be able to find recipes for the flies the us fly fishers use.

Thanks,
Lee
Old 09-17-2011, 08:00 PM

jack crack jones is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tying Flies for Spin Casting

Two thoughts:

1. Check out a company called Legendary trout lures - trout spinners - trout jigs and more! | Joe's Flies. They sell these at the fly shop in Bass Pro around Missouri here. They seem to do well for me on panfish, rock bass, and some smallmouth.

2. Do up a bubble float rig with a two to three foot leader below the bubble and tie on a fly. Then he can cast it. I've used this too and done well also.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:05 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I make my own spinners, jigs & spoons which could be used with a spin casting outfit, and I often dress the hooks in popular fly patterns, such as Woolly Buggers. I use single hooks a lot, and the ones I use have a large eye, because I attach them with split rings. Mustad & Eagle Claw both make such hooks. They're an older style hook, (larger barb's, not chemically sharpened) and not generally sold as fly tying hooks, but they are inexpensive. I'll have to look up the model numbers if you're interested.

I also use trebles, and they too can be dressed, but I don't necessarily dress them as a specific fly pattern.

Check out Joe's Flies. They've been making a fly & spinner combination for many years, that would be suitable for a spin casting outfit. May even give you some ideas once you see what they have available. Another such company that makes a similar fly/spinner combination is Jerry's Flies & Lures. I'm not sure about posting URL's, but a Google search should give you both company's websites.

Hope it helps!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:22 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
...They're an older style hook, (larger barb's, not chemically sharpened) and not generally sold as fly tying hooks, but they are inexpensive. I'll have to look up the model numbers if you're interested
I'd be more inclined to make my own than buy pre-made flies. When I look at the pictuures, I see a long wire thingy (technical term ) that goes through the hook eye. Can you buy those? Also, I would be interested in the model numbers of the hooks you use.

Thanks,
Lee
Old 09-17-2011, 08:58 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I'll get that hook info for you!

You can buy the spinner wires & blades without the flies from Jerry's Flies. Just do a search on their website for "Spinner Replacement."

They have them with different size blades & finishes. Then you can attach your own flies to them.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I've made up some "fly jigs" using a 45 degree angle jig hook with a split shot crimped onto the bend. Bass Pro sells a split shot with a zig zag channel that grips the hook wire pretty well. Nail polish works well to finish them off.

You could tie up very simple stuff like a wooly bugger, or some more complex patterns like this-

Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:17 PM

jack crack jones is on a distinguished road

That's a nice looking bug Big Cliff. What size hook? I don't tie, but I'm hoping to learn. Any chance I could buy a few of those off you for some bassin' here in the Ozarks?
Old 09-18-2011, 03:46 PM

Lee, both Mustad & EC have made changes to their line of hooks. It appears EC has discontinued the hook I was using as I cannot find it being currently listed on their website. It was similar to the L253, but had a large ring eye.

Mustad still makes a hook with a large eye but has changed some model numbers. The 3366 is a basic Sproat bend hook in a bronze finish that many use for tying flies, but has a standard eye. I used to tie with these a lot myself, especially bass flies.

Here's what they currently have listed with the larger eye.
3366A-NI Sproat bend, Nickel finish sizes 4, 6, 8
3366A-GL Sproat bend, Gold Finish, sizes 18 to 4/0
3366A-RB Sproat bend, Red finish, sizes 18-4/0

I used both the nickel & gold finished hooks a lot. The red could be useful too I would think!

A good source for these would be Captain Hooks Discount Warehouse. (www .captainhookswarehouse.com) There's an extra space after WWW in this URL to keep it from being a live link.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:54 PM

Thanks for all of the info! I appreciate it
Old 09-19-2011, 06:47 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Check out spinner flies by Tom Nixon. Also George Glazener has some awesome striper flies with spinner blades. Try those, add some weight to the line, and it should cast out far enough for you. Also you can use a bobber and fly set up. (sometimes called bubble and fly) Those work fantastic in the right conditions. The bobber gets some water added to it, and that helps get it out there. The fly is very attractive, especially to fish who have never seen this set up before.

Last edited by kelkay; 09-20-2011 at 11:36 AM.