The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 05:43 PM

rvc is on a distinguished road
Default Head cement bream repellent

I have read or heard somewhere on-line that bream can sense head cement on a fly and are turned off to a fly because of it. Any truth in this?

Thanks.

RVC
Old 09-20-2011, 07:31 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Head cement bream repellent

I think not, having watch bream engulf a cigarette butt before spitting it out. Of course those were southern bream and probably used to it.

I would put zero faith in that, if the bream are hungry they will test everything.

Dave
Old 09-20-2011, 07:58 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I've seen this same line of thought come up before about head cement. Fact is there is no way to keep foreign scents off your flies, even your scent from handling the fly will be on there, yet we still catch fish with those flies. Dyes, preservatives, tanning chemicals, and even the packaging that tying materials come in all have scents that may be on the materials. Even cleaning chemicals used to clean materials have scents, and if you rinse in water that has been processed through a treatment plant, it will likely have some scent to it. Well water, due to minerals in it may have a different scent to it than what the fish may be used to. Some of these are scents that we cannot smell, but many other animals may be able to detect.

I used to do a lot of trapping, and had read that human scent kept foxes away. Foxes and other canines have very good sense of smell. Yet, I caught foxes, and a lot of them, and I know there was no way I kept my scent from getting on my traps & other equipment. It's just not possible to prevent it completely.

Unless an animal can associate a scent with danger, they otherwise have no idea what it is. They will smell unfamiliar scents sometimes, just as we do. That's just the way it is.

If the scent left from head cement was that detrimental, you would never catch any fish on flies that utilize head cement. Scents are there, and the fish do not have a clue about them. It's not a factor to worry about!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:13 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i would say that that head cement deterring fish from striking a fly is no more than a myth. i have never seen bream shy away from a fly if they were not hungry. they are quite aggressive when in full tilt feeding mode

casey

ARFE
Old 09-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think so at all. In the same light though I think there may some attractant qualities to magic markers. I use magic marker on clousers a bunch. It seems to me that fish hit them better when the magic marker is fresh. It may be the colors are better when it's fresh but I'm not sure it makes that much difference having distinct marks. I would think if there was any effect to new head cement at all, it would be more to the attractant side. I have no definitive proof for any of that so who knows?
Old 09-20-2011, 09:32 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I don't think so at all. In the same light though I think there may some attractant qualities to magic markers. I use magic marker on clousers a bunch. It seems to me that fish hit them better when the magic marker is fresh. It may be the colors are better when it's fresh but I'm not sure it makes that much difference having distinct marks. I would think if there was any effect to new head cement at all, it would be more to the attractant side. I have no definitive proof for any of that so who knows?
Well I never figured the fish to be paint sniffers, but if dipping my flies in paint thinner helps...

Dave
Old 09-21-2011, 04:05 AM

rvc is on a distinguished road

Well boy am I relieved. Now I can use my new bottle of Sally Hansen. Appreciate the insights guys.

RVC

---------- Post added at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Well I never figured the fish to be paint sniffers, but if dipping my flies in paint thinner helps...
I'm told that metallic silver spray paint is a favorite amung "huffers." You might want to start there.

RVC
Old 09-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

For most bream? No way.

For older, larger bream that have seen some flies? Maybe, but you're talking about maybe 1% of all the bream in the world.

Joe Humphreys advocates rubbing a fly on the bottom of the stream, or grabbing some vegetation and squeezing its juices into the fly to help mask unnatural scents. I think it helps some, and it can't hurt.

Or there's another option-

Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvc View Post
Well boy am I relieved. Now I can use my new bottle of Sally Hansen.
That's what I use as head cement also. Maybe that's why we don't get the repellant problem?
By the way, don't use scent if you plan on getting a record with the IGFA, as they consider it a no no. The Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame has no problem with it at all and scent does work. It's the only way to do this.....
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:34 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Another vote for Sally Hansen's!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!