The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Bead Heads? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/1857-bead-heads.html)

esmith3102 04-05-2007 10:41 AM

Bead Heads?

What do you prefer....Tungsten or Brass. If you use the Brass do you need to weight the fly. If you use weight and Brass do you have basically the same results as the Tungsten. My buddy is teaching me and he is stuck on Tungsten but I am curious as to what the rest of you feel about this?

BigCliff 04-05-2007 11:06 AM

Re: Bead Heads?

I generally use brass due to them being cheaper and more readily available. If I want the head weighted still heavier I add a few wraps of lead wire shoved mostly under the bead.

Colorado Cajun 04-05-2007 01:52 PM

I use mostly brass because of the price as well. You will find that on some patteren there is no room for wrapping lead wire and tungsten is the better choice.

Frank Whiton 04-05-2007 02:24 PM

Tungsten is my favorite but I have used, brass and glass. It all depends on what you want the fly to do. If you want a quick sinker, then tungsten is my first choice. Tying the same fly with different head material will give different sink rates. In reality I prefer flies with out a bead head and weight the body.

Colorado Cajun 04-05-2007 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Whiton (Post 10362)
Tungsten is my favorite but I have used, brass and glass. It all depends on what you want the fly to do. If you want a quick sinker, then tungsten is my first choice. Tying the same fly with different head material will give different sink rates. In reality I prefer flies with out a bead head and weight the body.

Frank, Do you find that the glass beads break a lot? I have several patterns that seem to work best with a peacock glass bead but after about 1 hour of fishing it, the bead is gone. I go through a lot of flies when I use glass beads.

Frank Whiton 04-05-2007 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun (Post 10365)
Frank, Do you find that the glass beads break a lot? I have several patterns that seem to work best with a peacock glass bead but after about 1 hour of fishing it, the bead is gone. I go through a lot of flies when I use glass beads.

Hi Cajun,

Actually I mostly use plastic instead of glass. I never had the problem of the glass breaking but you may be fishing fast water with a lot of rocks. I get plastic beads from Walmart that work good but it is hard to find real small ones.

madriverbrown 04-07-2007 08:21 AM

I use Tungsten when I can afford it. Brass is the way to go . As you see everyone else feels the same.

Frank Whiton 04-07-2007 11:24 AM

I don't understand the cost issue. Cabela's has tungsten beads for $5.75/20. They are not slotted but they do have a bevel. So for 30 cents I can have a small head that sinks fast. When I drive out to New Mexico or Wyoming from Florida, the cost of the fly is not a consideration. On small nymphs I thing the smaller bead is better than the larger brass bead. I also prefer black beads instead of brass colored beads. I have been looking but still have not seen a nymph with a brass colored head.:)