The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2007, 10:41 AM

esmith3102 is on a distinguished road
Question Bead Heads?

What do you prefer....Tungsten or Brass. If you use the Brass do you need to weight the fly. If you use weight and Brass do you have basically the same results as the Tungsten. My buddy is teaching me and he is stuck on Tungsten but I am curious as to what the rest of you feel about this?
Old 04-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bead Heads?

I generally use brass due to them being cheaper and more readily available. If I want the head weighted still heavier I add a few wraps of lead wire shoved mostly under the bead.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:52 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

I use mostly brass because of the price as well. You will find that on some patteren there is no room for wrapping lead wire and tungsten is the better choice.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 04-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Tungsten is my favorite but I have used, brass and glass. It all depends on what you want the fly to do. If you want a quick sinker, then tungsten is my first choice. Tying the same fly with different head material will give different sink rates. In reality I prefer flies with out a bead head and weight the body.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:54 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Tungsten is my favorite but I have used, brass and glass. It all depends on what you want the fly to do. If you want a quick sinker, then tungsten is my first choice. Tying the same fly with different head material will give different sink rates. In reality I prefer flies with out a bead head and weight the body.
Frank, Do you find that the glass beads break a lot? I have several patterns that seem to work best with a peacock glass bead but after about 1 hour of fishing it, the bead is gone. I go through a lot of flies when I use glass beads.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 04-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun View Post
Frank, Do you find that the glass beads break a lot? I have several patterns that seem to work best with a peacock glass bead but after about 1 hour of fishing it, the bead is gone. I go through a lot of flies when I use glass beads.
Hi Cajun,

Actually I mostly use plastic instead of glass. I never had the problem of the glass breaking but you may be fishing fast water with a lot of rocks. I get plastic beads from Walmart that work good but it is hard to find real small ones.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:21 AM

madriverbrown is on a distinguished road

I use Tungsten when I can afford it. Brass is the way to go . As you see everyone else feels the same.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Administrator

I don't understand the cost issue. Cabela's has tungsten beads for $5.75/20. They are not slotted but they do have a bevel. So for 30 cents I can have a small head that sinks fast. When I drive out to New Mexico or Wyoming from Florida, the cost of the fly is not a consideration. On small nymphs I thing the smaller bead is better than the larger brass bead. I also prefer black beads instead of brass colored beads. I have been looking but still have not seen a nymph with a brass colored head.