The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2007, 06:36 PM

olivebugger is on a distinguished road
Default Getting started

April 7 2007 while on special regulation trout waters we caught 13 trout. I caught my half after falling on ice covered rocks and snapping my rod, the one I LOVED. I vowed that day to start fly fishing, because if I had to buy a new rod make it a FLY ROD. I went to the local shop that night and got set up with the basics. Today I had my first trout on and of course blew it. That all leads us here to, what I need for tying. All I want is what I need and nothing more. I have no need for fancy things I cant use. Price is not important at all. By that I mean that I will buy cheap if I can but if exspensive is needed then thats what I will get. I will be fishing for trout in SW PA and West Virginia. WV is all rainbows and SW PA is brookies and Browns. Local fly man say woolly bugger, blue winged olive and egg patterns will catch me lots of fish if I do my part. So what do I need to get started tying? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:16 PM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Getting started

Well, I have the white river fly tying kit, but its, eh.
So I suggest a Cabela's beginner fly tying kit. My friend got one, and man did it have a TON of materials. Which is important for beginners, as you will mess a few up. And yes, those patterns DO catch fish. Especially white wooly buggers for browns.

Cabela's Tying Kits with Vise and Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 10:28 PM

schrob is on a distinguished road

Take a beginners tying class from anywhere you can. If you like it then you can get into buying the things you need. Tying flies isn't for everybody.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group!

I taught myself to tie using the instruction provided in the beginner fly tying section on Fly Anglers OnLine, Your Complete Internet Flyfishing Resource.. If you can, set up your monitor/laptop to where it is just beyond the fly you are tying. With that and an expert tyer you can ask tougher questions, you will be well on your way.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.