The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 03:52 PM

Krash7172 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tying Kits - Feedback, reviews, suggestions?

Thanks, Joni!

I just purchased the Clearwater Tool Kit and Danvise from Orvis for a total of $115. This should give me somthing to grow into without a huge dent in my wallet.

Now - time to wade through all of the materials I found lists of materials for Wooly Buggers and Clousers at "Pete's R&B".

I bought:
Recommended hooks
Marabou
Chenile
Saddle Hackle
6/0 Thread (3/0 was recommended)
Silver wire
Bucktail
Krystal Flash
Flashabou
Hourglass eyes
bead-chain eyes
Cement & Thinner

I stuck with common colors and ones that I prefer to fish locally - black, olive, chartreuse, silver, white, blue

I have a week or so before I get this stuff. Are there any other materials I should pickup to get started? Different thread sizes? I am starting with size 8-12 hooks.

FYI, my "kit" cost me about $200.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

You will want more bobbins and get the ones with ceramic inners (it will help prevent thread break)
I like using thinner/smaller thread than required cause it gives room for error.
I am sending you a pm.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:38 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Krash, Looks like you are off to a really good start!

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 04-13-2007, 12:46 PM

Krash7172 is on a distinguished road

Supposed to get 3" of snow tonight so I guess this weekend will be spent cleaning the basement and setting up an area for tying I remodeled my kitchen a year ago and kept the top of our island. It is ~ 30" x 50" with a light colored formica surface. Should be perfect.

With any luck, I'll have a few of my own flies to catch some crappie with next weekend!
Old 04-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash7172 View Post
Supposed to get 3" of snow tonight so I guess this weekend will be spent cleaning the basement and setting up an area for tying I remodeled my kitchen a year ago and kept the top of our island. It is ~ 30" x 50" with a light colored formica surface. Should be perfect.

With any luck, I'll have a few of my own flies to catch some crappie with next weekend!

We were suppose to get that snow yesterday, but no go. In fact blue skies. It stayed to the south of us.