The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 10:49 PM

Kentucky Boy is on a distinguished road
Default just got a new fly tying kit and need a little help

Hello to all
I've not been on in awhile because i've had baseball games/practice everyday (we're 7-1 by the way) but thats besides the point. I have however found a little free time and got myself a new fly tying kit from orvis. The kit is great it has eveything cleary labeled and the book is very helpful and easy to understand except for one thing; the whip finish as far as i can tell i'm doing it exactly as the book says does anybody have like a step by step guide or video or something that explains how to do it properly.

Thanks!

HOPE EVERYBODY HAD A HAPPY EASTER!

-Mike
Old 04-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: just got a new fly tying kit and need a little help

Hi Kentucky Boy,

With your young eyes you will be tying up a storm in no time. Go to this site and watch the second video on the page. All you need to know about whip finishing.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:05 PM

Kentucky Boy is on a distinguished road

Thanks Frank the video did the trick! The book just wasnt clear enough for me. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:38 AM

awmiller is on a distinguished road

about that whip finisher.... it's good to learn to use the tool but it's also good to learn how to do it by hand.... it's not difficult at all and once I learned it, I hardly ever use my whip finisher.....
Old 07-20-2007, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Kentucky Boy,

How are you making out with your fly tying kit? Are you tying up a storm?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:03 PM

notafraid2fly is on a distinguished road

You know what I just got my kit yesterday and I'm having the same problems as you. I tied flys quite a few years ago and it seems like I've forgotten how to ride that bike. I'll take a look at your responses to see if anyone has any ideas to help out, but if you find somthing that has really helped for you let me know