The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 12:04 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Vladi Worm tips?

I'm wondering if anyone has tied any of these. I've twisted up a few, but I always have issues with neatness. I don't think the fish care, but I have a hard time (careful here people) getting the latex to stay in place. Especially when I first start wrapping it, it always wants to bunch up at the bend. I either can't find the proper tension or width of the strip or something.

I'm sure the fact that I'm tying with lubricated instead of non lubricated condoms doesn't help, but it's all I could find.

If anyone has any tips I would appreciate it.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:42 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Vladi Worm tips?

I'm wondering if there's some way you can soak your latex in something to remove the lubricant without breaking down the latex. This might make the tying process a little easier, while also potentially helping the fishing results (don't know how environmentally friendly the lubricant is).

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-04-2011, 03:32 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian.ducker View Post

I'm sure the fact that I'm tying with lubricated instead of non lubricated condoms doesn't help, but it's all I could find.

If anyone has any tips I would appreciate it.
Hi,
When you cut the strips just use some cloth and wipe the lubricant
Another tip,when you start winding the body of fly dont loose detention ..you must use some pressure in all way of winding that body....

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I'm wondering if there's some way you can soak your latex in something to remove the lubricant without breaking down the latex. This might make the tying process a little easier, while also potentially helping the fishing results (don't know how environmentally friendly the lubricant is).
You may wash it with water,you dont need anything else..water and piece of cloth to dry it is enough ..

This is not Vladi worm but here is one of mine rhyacophila caddis,body is made of condom

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:54 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Mladen, that caddis looks very buggy! Perfect!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dorian: Good to see you posting and tying again, I sure hope you are getting some fishing in! I haven't tried the Valdi Worm using a lubed condom, I buy my non-lubed condoms from condomdepot.com, but I think that the previous advice you received about washing the lube off the latex would work fine.

Larry

Old 10-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Outstanding tying Mladen....do you use flavored condoms
Old 10-04-2011, 12:57 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Outstanding tying Mladen....do you use flavored condoms
Thanks
I would love if there are some with caddis flavor
Old 10-04-2011, 10:14 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

that looks awsome. cool idea. I have to say one of the most real looking flys I have seen.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Dorian long time no post buudy.

Great looking work Mladen Wow it looks alive!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-05-2011, 04:51 PM

Thanks Ardy
I will post SBS if you guys like that...