The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 09:47 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default I have officially joined the tying club!

I have been tying for about a week now and decided to whip up a digest of my ties so far in the form of a blog post:
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...fly-tying.html
While I haven't had a huge chance to try out a lot of my flies in ideal situations, I'm sure I will have plenty of chances in the future!

Comments and criticism are greatly appreciated, as are entertaining ad hominem attacks! My main issue right now is settling on what colors for my bass popper. Since I haven't done much topwater for bass, while I like the chartreuse red and yellow popper I tied, I can't vouch for its effectiveness yet.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-08-2011, 11:21 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: I have officially joined the tying club!

Page not visible if you want others to see it

...you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Can't see your page AJhope you can solve the problem
Old 10-09-2011, 10:35 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

OK now we're live! I think! Thanks for the heads up, guys!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great job AJYou're a real tying machine
Old 10-09-2011, 02:51 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

AJ, you better hope they up your TA salary, now that you're going to "save money" by tying your own! Great first flies!
Gary
Old 10-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi gatortransplant,

Great job with your flies. Jumping around is fun and gives you different experience but sometimes you need to concentrate on improving technique. Tying the same fly over and over gets tiresome but it gives you a chance to get proportions, material density, tail lengths and head size perfect. This experience will carry over to your other flies.

There is no better way to trim spun hair than with the double edged razor blade. You got to get some.

Thanks again for sharing your flies.

Frank
Old 10-09-2011, 05:49 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a real good start Gator...Like Frank said, boring it may be but working on the same pattern will help develop good fly tying basics.

Dave
Old 10-09-2011, 08:26 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: I have officially joined the tying club!

[QUOTE=Frank Whiton;329438] . . . There is no better way to trim spun hair than with the double edged razor blade. . . ./QUOTE]

As Frank recommends, double-edged razor blades are the way to go. However, does anyone know just why double-edged razor blades are so much sharper than single-edged, which are obviously much safer to use in this manner?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a really good start Gator. I'm really impressed you started stacking deer hair. Not an easy starter project.