The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 06:46 PM

hal_sch has a spectacular aura abouthal_sch has a spectacular aura about
Default Material sources

I just started tying from a kit and as I've read here many many times the material is not the greatest. So I'm wondering if anyone would care to share some material sources with me.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Material sources

Hi Hal,

How close to Sydney are you, I'm thinking the original Cabela's store. It's nice when you are just getting started to be able to see, touch and select the stuff in person, that's how I was able to start. It may make a nice Saturday trip

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-13-2011, 07:33 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Depending on the materials you require,I've always found one of the best sources is what I've sourced myself from Hunting,from Friends,$2 Shops,Craft Shops,Milinary & Dressmaking Shops etc
Brian.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 PM

hal_sch has a spectacular aura abouthal_sch has a spectacular aura about

Well Ard.. Sydney is a bit away from here. I'm in the eastern part and they're in the western part somewhere around 400 miles. There is a store in La Vista that I've been to once.

Brian... I have my hunting friends looking for hair and feathers already, but thanks for the other ideas.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Oops, There I go again, save to say it's been a while since I've been there. I stopped at the Sidney store in 1981 when it was the only store, I didn't know what it was until I got inside. I still say choose a good destination with a fly shop on the other end and make it a roadie. Call to check on hours and ask about the size of their inventory first. You can probably come up with some good prospects via Goggle.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 10-14-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:55 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

St Louis has the Fly Crafters store, that too would be a good place for a hands on approach as Ard mentioned.

Dave
Old 10-14-2011, 03:00 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

It's Sidney, not the Australian Sydney. Only reason I know this is that I have lived In Sidney Nebraska for all of my life and have worked at Cabela's Distribution Company for quit some time lol. Have met the original Dick and Jim Cabela on many occasions and actually went to high school with some of their kids. There is a Cabela's in Omaha if you live close to there.

Chase
Old 10-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Administrator

I had it right the first time and I went back and fixed the other........... Sorry bout that,

Ard

Old 10-14-2011, 11:59 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Any local shops are great - nice to see materials and talk to folks about them. Cabelas has some good stuff. If you have a Cabelas close to you, don't forget to check they tying stuff in their bargain basement online. You can have it shipped free to the store for pick-up. I've gotten some great deals there without paying extra for shipping.

Here are some websites I like:
www.casterflyshop.com - a really great selection and FREE SHIPPING! I've had only good experiences with them.

Fly Tyers Dungeon: Fly Tying Materials | Fly Tying Recipes | Fly Tying Supplies | Fly Tyers Dungeon | Fly Tying Supplies - limited items carried, but great place to get hair, synthetics, etc. Incredible prices. I got huge patches of deer and elk hair through him.

I've also gotten stuff from bass pro shop and JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building Supplies, Fly Tying Materials

Additionally don't forget about craft stores for foam, bead eyes, etc. You can get pretty creative. I get some glues and epoxies from Lowes.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:23 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I collect lots of materials that may or may not become flies in the future.
Halloween wigs, Christmas tinsel, packing foam, corks, fuse wire, lamp cord, rug hooking yarn.... road kill
I got boxes of the stuff and although I'll never use it all I use it enough of it that it's worth collecting and gets as much use as any store-bought material.