The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 03:06 AM

laurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to behold
Default Fly tying materials

Here is some of the materials i have been dyeing up for new patterns
Bronze mallard and CDC, the steel head patterns look great and being flourescent they certainly show up up in the rivers here for the sea trout and Atlantic SalmonOnly problem now is to try to get the dam dye off my hands
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:22 PM

sthpaw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly tying materials

Those look great. How does one go about dyeing material? What kind of dye, etc? Thanks
Old 10-15-2011, 01:42 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

You did an excellent job on the dying. Great look feathers.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Awsome! What kind of dye are you using on them?
Old 10-15-2011, 06:59 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Nice Laurie. As they say here in the U.S. "this ain't your first rodeo" meaning you must have dyed stuff before.
I've tried it, and finally stopped. It's difficult to get the color you want in my opinion.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:08 AM

laurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to behold

Hi Guys i am lucky to be good friends with a chemist and we have come up with acid dyes, we wash the materials in a high concentrate of de-greaser then put the materials in the dye for 10 minutes. this process has been messed around with for the last year and we think we have finally got it right.
i did some cock pheasant tails yesterday and heron quills they have come out fantastic so i will post a few patterns done with these later