The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 11:55 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about
Default Epoxy? Head Cement? What to use?

I've been experimenting with gloss headed midges, epoxy covered chironomids and the like but I'm not happy with the way the epoxy takes to the fly.

I've used Sally Hansen's, Loon's Hard Head and a head cement and they all give similar results.

The stuff "shrinks" after being applied. What initially looks like a great fly with a beautiful clear body or head will shrink up and then I have to re-apply, sometimes 3 times to get it on there thick enough to produce the look I'm trying to get.

I don't want to get into using a 2 part epoxy because of the mess and how sporadic my tying is, but since I only have 1 vice, I don't want to have to wait for the fly to dry and then re-apply.

What are you guys using?
Old 10-17-2011, 11:58 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Epoxy? Head Cement? What to use?

Wathcing this thread with interest .. lol

I use the 2 part epoxy. hated the others I tried, the loon seems to turn opaque when it gets cold too.

Assuming the last step is the epoxy.. I tie the flies, take them off the vise, and hook them onto a piece of styrofoam, then do them all at the same time.

It's not that big a deal that way.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:06 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I use three coats of Cellire Clear Varnish on all of my flies, no matter what type of fly (except for big pike flies), to get heads that look like this (that is a size 10 hook):
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

I apply one coat per day with a bodkin. The heads never turn milky, shrink or whatever. I've tried every other head coating out there...Cellire is the real deal.

Gary
Old 10-17-2011, 06:22 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I use 5 minute epoxy (clear), and SHHAN. IMO what you are applying is normal. Epoxy shellbacks usally only take me one coat. Heads like buzzers maybe up to three. We just had a video of Davey MacPhail using the UV stuff. He had to do two apps.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:09 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
I use three coats of Cellire Clear Varnish on all of my flies, no matter what type of fly (except for big pike flies), to get heads that look like this (that is a size 10 hook):

I apply one coat per day with a bodkin. The heads never turn milky, shrink or whatever. I've tried every other head coating out there...Cellire is the real deal.

Gary
Uncle Gary...How do you (and Ard) get such a perfect line with the varnish, and where do you get the colored varnish?

Dave
Old 10-17-2011, 07:49 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Dave, the Cellire varnish flows very nicely, and you can keep it thinned to ensure that...makes it easy to get that defined head line. While there are a couple Cellire colored varnishes, I don't use them. I just use the appropriate color thread, like this claret head:

I pretty much just use Gordon Griffiths 14/0 thread. It helps make small heads without ridges, which then helps make the glossy, no-ridge head.

Another:

Gary
Old 10-17-2011, 07:51 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Gary...

Dave
Old 10-25-2011, 12:24 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

When I want those shiny heads, I put them on the dryer wheel and re-apply (hard head) as they dry. The motor on my dryer is an old electric clock so It's going 1 rev per minute. Since I'm not a particularly fast tyer, the flys have lots of time to dry before I go back to the wheel to reapply.
I have had some less than satisfactory results, especially if the laquer is too thick.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey