The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 03:57 PM

rvc is on a distinguished road
Default What kind of dye?

I'm not having much success with search on this subject. Apparently "dye" is not a big enough word to interest the search engine. Davie McPhail's latest video begs the question, for me anyway. What is the recommended dye to use?

Thank you.

RVC

Last edited by rvc; 10-18-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-18-2011, 04:28 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: What kind of dye?

try this search: The North American Fly Fishing Forum - Search Results

then you could try dyeing hair, dyeing deer, dyeing whatever.

Regarding recommended dye: first, it needs to be acid dye. There are several very good brands and good suppliers. Jacquard's and Dharma Trading's house brand are two that come to mind. I buy probably 5 different brands. I would not suggest Veniards. some folks use Kool-Aid. Doesn't produce what I want in the quality and in the quantity I need. But it works for some, obviously.

Dyeing is a ball. It has added delightfully to the entire fly fishing experience for me. Plus, I need a color or two that outfits like Whiting don't sell. So anymore, I only buy white capes and saddles, and leave the color to me!
Gary
Old 10-18-2011, 05:37 PM

rvc is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much! There's a lot of great info here. I'm pretty new at this and I'm practicing using cheep craft feathers from Walmart. Thought I'd try to shift them from shades of brown to shades of olive. We'll see how it turns out.

Thanks again.

RVC
Old 10-18-2011, 10:14 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I use KoolAid a lot. It works really well, you can blend colors and it is permanent. It's also cheap and easy.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:19 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

sticks to your tongue

Last edited by kayo; 10-18-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:35 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
sticks to your tongue
I'm not sure what you edited that from, but this made me laugh.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:47 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

as kind of a follow on to this, do you 'dyers' out there dye whole capes/saddles, or do you cut them say in to quarters? I would imagine its pretty easy to split up a saddle using a stanley knife, and dye a white saddle 4 different colors/shades.

Just wondering because dyeing is something i'd like to get into.

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-19-2011, 07:55 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

For my purposes, I dye entire capes and saddles. I am often using the feathers for streamer wings, and need to be able to pull paired feathers from each side of the cape, for example.
Gary

You can see what I mean here on my blog (I don't think the moderators will mind, since doing this slide show here again doesn't seem possible): http://theriverscourse.blogspot.com/...lide-show.html
Old 10-19-2011, 08:28 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
For my purposes, I dye entire capes and saddles. I am often using the feathers for streamer wings, and need to be able to pull paired feathers from each side of the cape, for example.
Gary

You can see what I mean here on my blog (I don't think the moderators will mind, since doing this slide show here again doesn't seem possible): The River's Course: Tying the Deep Green Beauty - A slide show
Great step by step there, and i really like your blog too.
Those deep green beauties are indeed beautiful!

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-19-2011, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the kind words. I get a great deal of satisfaction doing the blog, and out of fishing the Deep Green Beauty, she's a winner.
Gary