The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The case for tying your own.

This Fall has been an odd one when it comes to the big Walleye. In past years you take a Clouser and cast it across current, count it down to the bottom and start a steady strip. Bang! Big Walleye. This years has not been the same, in fact the standard way to get them has failed miserably. There has been zero daytime bite. In previous Falls, the bite was better in the daytime. When they did start biting at night I added glow in the dark flashabou to the Clousers I tie and was back into the fish. I don't think you can buy glow in the dark Clousers. Reason 1 to tie your own.
Click the image to open in full size.
This year as in most years, the Emerald Shiners start running the river in the Fall. With the Shiners come the big Walleye. This year however the Shiners are coming in major droves. This is the best Shiner run in years. When the Walleye start feeding though, it has almost all been right on the surface. You can hear them popping Shiners on the surface. This presents a problem to a guy with a box full of glow in the dark Clousers. I could not keep the fly up high enough in the water column and go slow enough to get hits. My Canadian friend Bill could not take it anymore and tried a Rapala to see if it was in fact Walleye. It was. All big. This made me even more frustrated. I started experimenting with fly designs and came up with a few that work, but I think the best one is a version of this:
This is also a glow in the dark fly, having glow in the dark flashabou mixed in the white belly hair. This fly is made in 2 sections. White bucktail with glow flash on the bottom, Black bucktail on top, silver tinsel on the sides tied to the rear of the hook and trimmed of so that when tied down tight it makes a tapered body with a good 1/4" of the front of the hook shank bare. I whip finish it and cut the thread off. I then slip a section of mylar tube over the body all the way to the hook bend. I start the thread back on and tie down the front of the tube. I repaet the sequence on the front 1/4" of the hook. In the final version which does not appear on the pictured fly was to put a bit of Flourescent Yellow Marabou for about 3/4" on the sides of the head, and I changed the eye color to red. The yellow was added after my friend Bill who can be a ted magic marker happy, took a highlighter to the front of an earlier version of the fly. He caught fish. I changed the eye color to red because yellow on yellow, well.... I then use thread to temporarily tie down the front of the body into a good minnow shape put it in the vice head down and stick it up past the eyes in a jar of softex. Put it back level and run an old feather or something through the eye to clean it out. These don't sink much at all, and with short twitchy strips I can keep it up in the top few inches of the water column.

If I didn't tie my own flies, I would not have caught these two fish I got last night.

If that doesn't make the case for tying your own flies......
Old 10-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The case for tying your own.

Great post Dan..... funny...just talked about walleye ability to see in the dark on your other thread
Old 10-21-2011, 03:21 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Great looking fish....you should start selling those Glow in the dark suckers. a niche in the market discovered by accident.

Is there good eating in a walleye?

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-21-2011, 03:24 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Whoa, Dan, well done!!
Gary
Old 10-21-2011, 03:35 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Dan,

Great post. One question though. Specifically by name, what are the phosphorescent tying materials that you have been able to find. I know of the following:

Firefox Fur

Flashabou

Are there any others that you know of?

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-21-2011, 04:15 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

There’s a strike inductior that you attach to your rods tip top, their like the light sticks that you bend to get lit but a inch in length and they float and then weigh nothing, maybe attached to the hook shank allowing it to float higher and add light.

Rick
Old 10-21-2011, 05:08 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Not specifically a fly tying material, but there is a glow in the dark vinyl strip material that's sold in crafts stores that is very much like the ribbing material sold for tying. It's sold in hanks, comes in many colors and works well for making bodies on flies like Crazy Charlies or Gotcha's. I've used the glow in the dark strips to tie such flies, and have used them in low light conditions for perch & Crappies.

I believe I've seen a G.I.T.D. ribbing on spools too, but don't know who makes it.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 10-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Great post / great fish!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-21-2011, 06:29 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Good looking flies, and fish Dan. Thought that I could go the rest of my life without buying new materials. Not so. May need some of that glow stuff, lol.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:48 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

The biggest reason I started tying wasn't so that I could stock up on EHCs, PMDs, Pheasant Tail, and Hare's Ear Nymphs. It's so I can tie things that I can't buy.