The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 11:53 AM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough
Default Non figure 8

Can anyone explain how to tie a Merkin Crab using a non figure eight wrap for the body?
Old 10-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non figure 8

Doug,

Hmmmm. I've always used a figure 8 to tie the yarn in, and haven't seen it tied any other way.

Here's how I learned it:

The fly is tied to ride hook point up.

After the lead eyes are tied on top of the shank with figure 8 wraps and a few wraps between the hook shank and the dumbbell eyes to cinch the figure 8 wraps tight, and you tie in whatever you're using for the mouth part (rabbit, marabou or whatever).....

flip the hook in the vise and tie in each piece of yarn in with figure 8 wraps on top of the inverted hook shank, and follow each tie-in with a couple of locking wraps around the bare shank to hold it in place.....

then add a strand of rubber leg material with figure 8 wraps, lock with a few wraps around the bare shank etc .....

repeat, working forward until you reach the dumbbell eyes.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:42 PM

Mark,
Here are some pics I found. My understanding is that the tie in is similar to tying a a toad pattern.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Doug, I also tie the Toad with figure 8 wraps to bind in each strand of yarn to form the crab body:
A couple of figure 8 wraps to bind a strand then 3 wraps around the shank immediately in front of it to lock it in place .... personally I haven't see a Toad or Merkin tied any other way--- the figure 8 wraps help each side of the strand of yarn to stand out at right angles to the hook shank.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:44 PM

Thanks Mark, I will try and find the site again were this is discussed briefly.