The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 08:34 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Input requested for Beginner Fly "Tie-Alongs"

I have a shrimp pattern that I use a lot here, trout and salmon love it
I'd be willing to do a step by step to show off a little taste of PEI
Old 10-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by latshki View Post
I have a shrimp pattern that I use a lot here, trout and salmon love it
I'd be willing to do a step by step to show off a little taste of PEI
That would be one I would tie along with, I had no idea you were afloat in the Bay! Brook trout, sea run and fresh water both you have it made

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-30-2011, 09:42 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

yup, here on little ole PEI
I got some feathers off of a guy who I swear must be your twin today

I would be proud to share lester the lobster from PEI (insert stompin tom song here)
Old 10-31-2011, 10:51 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

I'd like to offer a suggestion, sort of a "crawl before walking" thing. It might be good for participants to become familiar with basics, like REAL BASICS first.

Styles of hooks and why/what you use them for
How to mount a hook in a vise (yeah, this sounds dumb, but does anyone remember the 1st time? too deep can't tie, too shallow shank snaps, failure to hide tip snapped thread)
How to secure thread to a hook (right and left handed)
How to prep a hackle to tie in and how to tie in (right side up, up side down)
How to size hackle (and why it matters)
How to prep material to tie in and how to tie in (ribbing wire, herl, floss, PT fibers)
How to half hitch
How to whip finish

These terms and techniques are so common to most of us that I doubt we even think about them anymore, they just come naturally- but they don't to people who are thinking about buying their first vise or considering buying a kit.

I used to teach Boy Scouts at meetings in the Winter - a troop that a friend was the Leader for. I would attend 3 meetings- one to introduce myself and gauge the level of interest in the boys, and let them look at the materials and tools and to show them some flies. The second to show them some basic techniques and to tie a red tailed, peacock bodied, marabou winged, wooly bugger. The third to give them hands on (I took 4 vises) experience tying one themselves. After that, it was up to them to ask me to come back if they were interested- and I usually did a couple of Saturday morning clinics. Ended up doing this for 4 years, until my friend moved away.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great responses so far folks.

Webrx- I took a stab at trying to cost out materials, and your suggestion of starting off with 6 flies at a time for each series makes a lot of sense --- and helps avoid sticker shock.

And just including patterns that use basic materials is a good idea-- in fact it makes sense to keep this in mind when thinking about any additional series of lessons that might come down the road, allowing tyers to build on their existing inventory of stuff and minimizing the need for new materials for future lessons where possible.

Mudbug, Kelkay, Williamhj, and Webrx-- Good suggestions on patterns to include

Gatortransplant, Seajay, jimmie, bruce m- Thanks for showing interest

Stimmie7 - your points are well taken -- a sort of Intro with basic skills information and/or links to vids (some already exist here on NAFFF). And for the beginner lessons, no prior knowledge of the basics like prepping/handling of materials should be assumed.

Some discussion of proportions for different types of flies and the need to define and communicate terms such as parts of a hook (gap width, shank length, etc) need to be developed as part of this effort.

This should be fun! Keep suggestions coming, I'll start roughing something out incorporating your suggestions.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:30 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in on this one. I'll do a step by step.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:44 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

"...your points are well taken -- a sort of Intro with basic skills information and/or links to vids (some already exist here on NAFFF). And for the beginner lessons, no prior knowledge of the basics like prepping/handling of materials should be assumed."

These are OBVIOUSLY NOT the only way to do it, but these are pretty crisp and clean and address some basics. Harry is a great guy, very unassuming and did these as a "find a need and fill it" kind of thing. His "Biot" and "Whip Finish" tutorials are what I was thinking of.

t r o u t f l i e s . c o m
Old 10-31-2011, 01:17 PM

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Stimmy7 those tutorials are very well done - it would be nice not to have to reinvent the wheel.

Swirlchaser- great!

I guess the first steps are to identify the first 6 patterns in each category (Trout Panfish/Bass and Saltwater) and then maybe the next 6 patterns in each category) to come up with a materials list that will work for the first 6 patterns and also some of the next 6 patterns where possible. Then we can come up with a materials list (with approximate prices) for each series of lessons.

Keep the suggestions and comments coming
Old 10-31-2011, 01:29 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

I'd like to Tie-Along Mark.

Rick
Old 10-31-2011, 01:40 PM

Excellent Rick!