The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Input requested for Beginner Fly "Tie-Alongs"

Mark ...will post a step by step of one of my patterns (jpb olive I think...simple to tie allaround fly) although it's not on your list
Old 10-31-2011, 03:35 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I think once a tie a long is set up a new thread would probably be best. I'll do a deer hair popper for the Bass/Panfish or Lefty's Deceiver for the saltwater. I guess if there's any interest we can work up a materials list and get started.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:21 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'm far from the most experienced tier on here, but if you need help with one of the patterns I can do, I'd be willing to do one. I think it would be fun to do a step-by-step, but if more experienced folks can do it, they'd probably do better.

peregrines - perhaps you could save yourself some time if you didn't do materials lists for all the flies. You could let whomever does the step-by-step do it or just do the basic 6 of each category and then if others were added the folks who did the step-by-steps. That might take some of that work off you

I like the idea of linking sites/threads that have covered some of the terminology and other basics of tying. If you try to cover everything you'll have a hard time getting to through the actual tying. A step-by-step guide to doing a roll cast wouldn't need to cover setting-up the fly rod.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:14 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

I'd like to join in and tie some flies. I am fairly new at tying and have a limited amount of various materials. So far I have been tying mostly nymphs and Buzzers. I am just now trying to tie wet flies. This tie-along seems like it would help me to learn more patterns.

Thanks, Dave
Old 10-31-2011, 11:35 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave5977 View Post
I'd like to join in and tie some flies. I am fairly new at tying and have a limited amount of various materials. So far I have been tying mostly nymphs and Buzzers. I am just now trying to tie wet flies. This tie-along seems like it would help me to learn more patterns.

Thanks, Dave

You should go through Allen's Wet Fly tie along. It is (I think) basically what this one wants to be. Allen did a fantastic job on the information and pics, plus you can see what we all tied. Post pics of your flies in that thread as you go along and get some kudos for your work or help if you need it.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:04 AM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Mudbug, I took a quick look through that thread and it looks great. I really missed out when that tie-along started earlier this year. I had just signed up as a new member at that time. I'm glad the thread is available to view. I'll have to spend some time going thru it. I still want to be included in this one...
Dave
Old 11-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Dave-- great to have you onboard. Everyone is welcome to jump in on this, it should be fun. Oh and Dave we have a wet fly swap that's just starting, feel free to sign up in the swap forum if you're interested.

Swirlchaser-- great, thanks for volunteering-- we should finalize the first 6 patterns in each group by the end of the week or so. (a Deceiver would be good in the first set of 6 patterns for saltwater, but a bass bug with spun deer hair might be a bit to difficult for the first 6 panfish/bass patterns and be better in the next set of 6 (patterns 7-12). Thoughts?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:01 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Dave-- great to have you onboard. Everyone is welcome to jump in on this, it should be fun. Oh and Dave we have a wet fly swap that's just starting, feel free to sign up in the swap forum if you're interested.

Swirlchaser-- great, thanks for volunteering-- we should finalize the first 6 patterns in each group by the end of the week or so. (a Deceiver would be good in the first set of 6 patterns for saltwater, but a bass bug with spun deer hair might be a bit to difficult for the first 6 panfish/bass patterns and be better in the next set of 6 (patterns 7-12). Thoughts?
Sounds good, I'm easy
Old 11-01-2011, 08:59 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My go-to, hackleless dry fly has long been the "usual/haystack".
While the main (and only) ingrediant, snowshoe rabbit foot, is slippery and slightly difficult to handle, it's also cheap and easy (like me !)
Old 11-02-2011, 06:45 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Had a little time to kill yesterday so looked up the material list on the trout part of this.

1. Pheasant Tail Nymph

Hook: 20 - 8 Wet-fly or Nymph
Thread: 8/0 black or brown
Tail: Pheasant tail (male)
Rib: Copper wire
Body: Pheasant
Wingcase: Pheasant
Thorax: Hare's Ear (dubbing)
Legs: Pheasant

2. Gold Ribbed Hares Ear

Hook: 8 - 22 Down eye (regular or 2x shank)
Thread: Brown
Tail: Hare's mask guard hair
Body: Hare's ear fur
Rib: Fine gold tinsel
Thorax: Hare's ear fur
Wing case: Hen pheasant tail

3. Woolly Bugger

Hook: 4-14 (X2 - X4 long)
Thread: Black
Tail: Black marabou (1-2X hook length)
Body: Dark olive chenille
Weight: Lead wire (under body)
Rib: Clear nylon mono
Hackle: Grizzly hackle

4. Soft Hackle

Hook sizes 10-18

THREAD: To match body

ABDOMEN: Floss or Haretron

THORAX: Haretron

LEGS: Gray or brown partridge tied so fibers extend past hook point

5. Lead Wing Coachman

Hook: Mustad 3399 or 3906, or another standard-length wet-fly
hook, sizes 16 to 12.
Thread: Black Danville Flymaster 6/0.
Tip: Flat gold or Mylar tinsel.
Body: Peacock herl.
Hackle: Brown schlappen or hen hackle fibers.
Wing: Dark slate (usually natural Canada goose) primary wing quills.

6. Sparkle Duns and X Caddis (dries without hackle)

Hook: TMC 100 #14-24

Thread: 8/0 Olive

Shuck: Brown Zelon

Body: Olive Superfine or Antron Dubbing

Wing: Natural Deer Hair

7. Elk Hair Caddis (hackle)

Hook: 18 - 8 Dry fly
Thread: 6/0 or 3/0
Body: Fine fur or synthetic dubbing (Fine SLF Olive *)
Rib: Fine gold wire
Wing: Elk or deer hair (Coastal Deer *)
Hackle: Brown (From neck cape)

8. Rusty Spinner

Hook:TMC 100 #14-24

Thread:Lagartun 74 Denier Rusty Brown

Tail:Microfibetts, split

Abdomen:Tying thread

Wing:White McFlylon

Thorax:Rusty Spinner Superfine Dubbing

9. Adams

Hook: 10 - 24 Down-eyed medium to lite wire
Thread: Black
Tail: Brown and grizzle cock hackle
Body: Muskrat
Hackle: Brown and grizzle cock Hackle
Wing: Grizzle hen hackle points

10. Light Cahill

HOOK: 900BL, sizes 12-20

THREAD: Pale Yellow

WING: Mallard flank dyed wooduck, tied upright and divided in traditional Catskill dry fly fashion

TAIL: Hackle fibers to match body

BODY: Ginger or cream Superfine

HACKLE: To match body

11. Royal Wulff

Popular sizes 10, 12, 14, 16, 18
Hook Type Extra-fine dry
Thread Black 6/0
Tail Brown bucktail (largest sizes) or natural elk or deer hair
Body In three sections: front and rear third of peacock herl, middle third of red floss or substitute
Wing White calf tail (white calf body hair for the smaller sizes)- upright and divided
Hackle Brown, hackled heavily

12. Muddler Minnow or Marabou Muddler

Hook: 1-12 Longshank
Thread: Natural or brown
Tail: Mottled turkey
Body: Flat gold tinsel
Rib: Gold Oval Tinsel
Under-wing: Grey Squirrel
Wing: Mottled turkey
Collar: Deer hair
Head: Deer hair

Dave