The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Input requested for Beginner Fly "Tie-Alongs"

Yup, it looks like we have a plan. I'll copy those patterns over to the pattern library and will have links to the easier to tie ones in a beginner trout fly sticky.

I'm thinking we'll have links in the sticky to a nice assortment of patterns that will teach a bunch of different skills and for the most part use inexpensive, basic materials.

Streamers:
-Woolly Bugger (from Pocono's tie along)
- Bucktail
- marabou wing streamer

Nymphs:
- Pheasant Tail Nymph (stay tuned, coming soon)
- Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear (stay tuned, coming soon)
- Zebra Midge
- Scud

Wets
- Soft Hackle ( (from Pocono's tie along)
- Flymph (from Pocono's tie along)
- Lead Wing Coachman (from Pocono's tie along)
- Z Wing Caddis

Dry Flies (without hackle)
- X Caddis
- Sparkle Dun
- Poly Wing Spinner
- Foam Ant and Beetle

Dry Flies (with Hackle) will be added later...

How does this sound?

Still working on saltwater and warmwater beginner flies, but I'll float something soon for them too.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:11 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Looks great! Thanks for organizing it.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:19 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

You've got it shaping up Mark, thanks.

Rick
Old 11-10-2011, 07:23 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Looks good to me.

Dave
Old 11-10-2011, 08:41 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I check this thread everyday hoping for the "It has begun!" post. Thanks Mark for pulling this together. Now I just have to finish those bass poppers...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-10-2011, 09:07 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Still working on saltwater and warmwater beginner flies, but I'll float something soon for them too.
"...float something..."

I see what you did there, and I LIKE IT!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:31 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I'll volunteer to do some of the write ups and photo-documentation. I can set up my desk and camera so that its very easy for me to take a picture along the way. Everything listed in there is easy enough to tie. Couldnt tell you the last time I did some of them but no biggie.

I was just looking at the list you had posted above Mark,

I can do drys with hackle. Thats my prefered method of tieing anyway. Have a small selection like

elk hair caddis
Royal Wulff
Adams
Stimulator
Maybe some sort of quill fly, Im trying to think of what I have in my boxes haha.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-15-2011, 01:31 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

I've found 3 of the toughest flies for beginning tyers to tackle are:

Any form of Wulff
Any form of Humpy
The Stimulator

The biggest problems are:

working with calf hair
learning to select material
getting the proportions right
eliminating bulk
not crowding the eye

One trick I've used for all three is to have them learn to tie on a longer shanked hook, then size their way down to a normal length shank.

Another is to tie JUST THE tail and wings on a Wulff... 6 or 8 times until they get the hang of that- I do this myself if I plan to tie a dozen or more because I find it much quicker.

When it comes to the Humpy, I've never seen a tutorial that beats Harry Mason's t r o u t f l i e s . c o m

The Stimmy is just a tough tie, because there's so much going on it just takes time to get the hang of it. The most important thing I tell tyers to remember is "less is more"
Old 11-15-2011, 03:36 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Stimmy's arent toobad to tie. i tought my buddy to tie one as like the 3 or 4th fly he's ever done. Tie em big and its easy plus they still work. Plus they are fun since you can use rubber legs and just about any color you feel like.

the big problems you have listed there is something that ALL tiers have to learn and eventually get the hang of it. Im guilty of not following 100% proportions and tieing in what looks good or right and ya know what, I still catch fish. My buddy used to tie some of the ugliest flies i've ever seen but they sure worked great. So overall you just learn to get comfortable with things.

i find calf hair pretty easy to work with now, its a pain in the ass when you cut it and it flies EVERYWHERE but oh well, it comes with the territory. I stop tieing hair wings at about a size 16 because any smaller then that and i'll just buy it, not worth my eye strain haha.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I am looking forward to these tie-alongs, all of them except maybe the warmwater one, cause I live above 5000 feet and there is generally not a lot of warm water fishing up this high. Maybe I will tie a few anyway, I've been wanting to travel

The cool thing is that once they are done with a Step by Step, anyone can jump in, catch up, go back for review, etc, and these things can be done continously - i.e. they don't have to stop at 6. We can get the first 6 off the deck, and then, once the initial 6 have been declared completed by the tie-along sponser, we can start another list of 6 more, or go with a if you have a nymph, or dry, or whatever, just do a SBS and post it in the appropriate tie-along thread.

And of course, you can always do your own STS, and just post it in the "share your fly patterns" section.

d