The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Input requested for Beginner Fly "Tie-Alongs"

Fly Tie-Alongs for Beginners

Following up on Dave’s (Webrx) excellent suggestion, here are just some ideas for virtual tie-alongs for beginning tyers.

The concept of the virtual Tie –Along was launched here by Allan (Pocono) in his Salmon Fly Tie-Along
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-tie-along.htm
and his wet fly/Streamer Tie-along Wet / Streamer Tie-Along?

Basically the idea is that a new pattern with detailed step by step instructions is posted and folks then just tie it up and post pics of their ties. A detailed list of recommended materials is posted in advance (and appropriate substitute materials can be discussed). Its a good opportunity to ask questions, share tips or alternate ways of tying the pattern, get constructive feedback, and learn to work with a variety of basic materials and techniques.

Since we have folks that chase warm water and saltwater stuff as well as trout, I though we might consider doing a couple, different tie-alongs each emphasizing simple patterns that introduce a variety of tying techniques and build up an inventory of basic ( and hopefully inexpensive) materials that can be used on many additional patterns down the road .

I thought I’d throw out a few patterns for each Tie-Along just a s a starting point and to get suggestions form all—once we get a consensus on patterns we can draw up a suggested shopping list of basic materials.
Feel free to pick these lists apart, If we can get this off the ground and get enough interest perhaps we could follow up with another series for each using “intermediate” tying skills ….

Beginning Trout Fly Tie-Along
1. Pheasant Tail Nymph
2. Gold Ribbed Hares Ear
3. Woolly Bugger
4. Soft Hackle
5. Lead Wing Coachman
6. Sparkle Duns and X Caddis (dries without hackle)
7. Elk Hair Caddis (hackle)
8. Rusty Spinner
9. Parachute Adams
10. Light Cahill
11. Royal Wulff
12. Muddler Minnow or Marabou Muddler
Any you’d omit or other stuff you’d include? Should a Prince or Copper John be in there? Stimulator, caddis pupa, midge larva? Ideas?

Beginning Bass and Panfish Fly Tie-Along
1. Rubber Leg Foam Spider
2. Woolly Bugger
3. Rubber leg/Chenille Panfish fly like a Pole Cat?
4. Clouser Minnow
5. Zonker or Rabbit strip something?
6. Gurgler
7. Hard Foam Popper
8. Deer Hair Bass bug
9. Dahlberg Diver
10. ?
11. ?
12. ?
What else? Crayfish? Leech? What patterns using basic materials would you add of subtract?

Beginning Salt Water Fly Tie-Along
1. Glass Minnow (just a simple Bucktail Wing)
2. Bendback
3. Clouser
4. Bucktail Deceiver and Lefty’s Deceiver
5. Hi Tie
6. Sea Ducer and Keys Style Tarpon Fly
7. Gotcha and Crazy Charlie
8. Merkin (Crab fly)
9. Hard Foam Popper
10. Shrimp
11. Snake Fly (something spun deer hair head)
12. Something with Epoxy or UV/Blue Light cured resin like a Surf Candy etc.
“Saltwater” covers a lot of different species from bonefish redfish specs stripers and bluefish and possible patterns, if this list doesn’t do it for you, what would you leave out or add that folks could build on to be dangerous near saltwater?

For those of you that have some tying experience, please feel free to add your thoughts and for folks that are just getting into tying let us know if this is something that might interest you.

If there is enough interest we can get these going, and once we zoom in on a final list of patterns, any volunteers that want to do one or more of the step by steps are welcome to jump in.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:58 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Input requested for Beginner Fly "Tie-Alongs"

I'm interested! I could use the opportunity to learn as a newbie to flytying!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-29-2011, 08:21 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Great idea, Mark. I participated in one of Allan's "tie alongs" and it was great fun. While the youtube is full of tying vids and instructionals, many are good and many more bad, a step by step would be a great way for novice tiers to learn the basics. Particularly with the forum format and other tiers being able to jump in and answer basic questions.

But it sounds like a lot of work for you!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:54 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

For the Beginning Bass and Panfish Fly Tie-Along I would like to suggest a Simi Seal Leech.

It's a very simple pattern to tie, and both bass and panfish love them.

Also, once you got the basic pattern down just a few additions and you have very different flies.

Add a soft hackle collar and the bass go crazy for them.

Add a gurgler style foam back for a great mini popper.

Add rubber legs and bead chain eyes and you have another crazy bass fly.

Heck, I've been planning to do a Simi Seal thread for awhile now showing the basics and all the ways it can be used but I just haven't found the time.

Given the local reception of this fly for almost anything (Bass, panfish, trout) I'm really surprised at how little air time it gets everywhere else.

Last edited by mudbug; 10-30-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:04 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, those are some great lists!

For trout, I'd suggest adding a terrestrial or two. Foam beetles can be pretty easy and very effective, same with ants. It would introduce foam and a step towards learning hoppers. I also think a caddis pupa like this could be good too. It will introduce the wire used in other patterns and is very effective (caught 8 fish on it today)

For the panfish/bass I like the crayfish suggestion.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:38 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

for beginners, a Griffith Gnat is a good tie and it is a good way to learn to palmer hackle close to itself.

You could also throw in a rust colored with peacock body, "Denny's" stillwater Nymph for trout - they work in the lakes and the river, and are easy to tie. (maribou tail, peacock herl, hackle, wire, pull the maribou over the top). They introduce the idea of pulling your material over the back in a wing case of sorts.

If it were me, i would trim the list to 6, to start with, though there is no real committment, it may keep more people active longer. Start with the easiest one on the list, and work up each week to a little more difficult, and don't put in anything with weird materials, keeping the materials to a very basic and low cost list.

Also, in the tie along, we could do the step-by-step and we could (if it is allowed) link to a decent youtube video of the pattern - there are tons of examples of simple ties on youtube doen by some good tiers. This would allow the beginners to start a favorites list of videos, and give them a reference for later in case thier memories are like mine and getting worse for wear.

I am not a pro fly tyer, but I am willing to volunteer to assist in a pattern or two for the beginner trout tie along.

d

Last edited by webrx; 10-30-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:14 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Great idea webrx and peregrines. Good lists already, plus nice suggestions by members. I applaud you both.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:50 AM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

As always a great idea. This is what makes this place so great.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:17 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

I would be interested in participating in this also.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:33 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

warm water : Crappie Candy, Marabou Miss, Mickey Finn, Briminator, Shannon's Streamer, DDH Leech, Jitterbee, Woolly Worm, Black Laced McGinty, Slumpbuster, Cypert Minnow...these are a few off the top of my head.