The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2007, 08:05 PM

olivebugger is on a distinguished road
Default Tools

Well I purchased the montana mongoose vise. Now I wanna get good tools. I plan to buy all my tying materials at the local shop but they dont have many tools. Now I want good tools but proably cant afford the best. What name brands would you recommend? Thanks for all the help thus far.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tools

Well the only tools that I think really matter for quality is the bobbin. Get either teflon coated or the ceramic. Griffin has all these. I also prefer Dr. Slick scissors. The rest is kind of no big deal. A simple hair stacker, a dubbing tool, get am easy one to operate like the "Turbo Dubbing Tool".
A whip finisher is a whip finisher they are all pretty much the same as are bodkins and hackle pliers. You can definitly get carried away buying tools, but you really only need good scissors and bobbins.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I agree with Joni that its most important for the bobbin and scissors to be of good quality, but for some of the other tools, it sure doesn't hurt. Skip buying a "bobbin threader", as a better version can be found at the drug store for cheaper. Eez-Thru Floss Threaders Step 2 | G-U-M | Beauty & Spa | Walgreens

Whip finishers are actually divided into 2 categories, Thompson, and Matarelli. I strongly recommed getting the Matarelli type. There are supposedly some tyers out there who like the Thompson variety better, but I have yet to meet one.

Griffin, Renzetti, and Umpqua make some of the better tools out there.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Thompson the one with a little spring loaded hook. I started with one and MAN WHAT A PAIN! I use the Matarelli now and I do have two sizes. One small one for those size28's and smaller"
Click the image to open in full size.

I agree with Cliff on the threaders, they just end up breaking eventually. I use the feed and suck LOL, but a small wire folded in half will do the same thing.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:41 PM

Krash7172 is on a distinguished road

I got the Clearwater Tool Kit from Orvis and a couple ceramic bobbins per Joni's suggestion and I'm pretty happy.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Here are a couple of items that you will need. A trim bag is very handy and will help keep your bench nice and tidy. You can make one or buy one. A glass applicator jar with a Bodkin top is handy for your favorite cement. Buy the best scissors you can find. This is the last place to save money. You can save a little money and not buy a whip finisher. They are nice but not necessarily needed. I have never used one and have not felt deprived.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:31 AM

I found this in the Flyfishing Mag. What a way to start off and a great price to boot:
LaFontaine Private Label - Fly Tying Accessories
Old 05-21-2007, 12:21 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

All great advise. On the scissors, don't just grab one off the shelf and hear to the check out. Make sure they fit your fingers comfortable and open and close them looking at the blades to make sure they will cut well. I ended up going to a craft store and got a pair there.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 05-21-2007, 10:12 AM

Bad thing about scissors, is that you end up buying them often, so here is a little advise. Hair like deer, Elk, Moose, etc. try using a double edged razor insteas. Cheap and flexible. Hair will destroy scissors.
Wire, try breaking it by hand or if you do use your scissors, use the portion closes to the hinge or the very bottom of the "V". This will leave the rest of the scissors nice and sharp.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:11 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Bad thing about scissors, is that you end up buying them often, so here is a little advise. Hair like deer, Elk, Moose, etc. try using a double edged razor insteas. Cheap and flexible. Hair will destroy scissors.
Wire, try breaking it by hand or if you do use your scissors, use the portion closes to the hinge or the very bottom of the "V". This will leave the rest of the scissors nice and sharp.

When you get your second pair, keep the first for cutting wire.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*